Oil Pump Drive - 2005 Adventure 950 S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GD

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Gents, I need some advice please.

KTM Bloem recently fixed an oil pressure problem on my 950, the issue was a stuck oil valve at the oil tank due to a previous owner/mechanic having cross-threaded the oil nut on the tank and the debris was pushed back into the tank. It seemed pretty straight forward as the mechanic even gave me the tiny half moon shaped offending item that he removed. Anyway the problem was fixed with a few new valve components, a heli-coil and a full 45k service.

900km later and the oil pressure drops away again... and after a week of waiting - time I'm told something that I just don't understand. Apparently the problem is with the oil pump drive?... the pins have sheared?

Now I'm the most  mechanical chap,  but am practical and can get the basics done when needed. Please can some one explain WTF I am being told here.  It would seem that to replace "I don't know what part" is 7k  :eek: :eek: :eek: however the first coarse of action would be to remove said pins and have new pins machined to save quite a lot of money.  ???

My Specific question besides the above
1. Is machining this part ok, because I don't want a repeat
2. Is this problem something that happens to the LC8 if so what is the cause
3. Could this new issue have come form what they did on the last fix ?

Please, please can someone cleaver here assist, this bike has been looked after well serviced by dealers etc. The motore has never made funny noises (other than the usual KTM ones :) )

Thanks in advance!