Old Biker, New Member

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K.O.

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Greetings

Been biking my pretty much my whole life. Had big road bikes for the past 30 years or so with the odd offload for fun. Before that was a RD 50, followed by a DT175F. (What a great bike that was.) Since I have started to find long spells on a superbike not that much fun anymore and being scared of breaking it on dirt roads. I decided to try and adventure bike. I tried most of the big adventure bikes and liked all of them. I just happened to be riding past a BMW dealer and decided to take a 1200 GS for a test ride which was not really one of the bikes I was considering. This was at the end of August.

I ended up buying a 2008 GS and have covered many happy K's since, including a trip from GP to East London. I have taken it on the dirt a bit, but mostly just sand roads. I can't believe how well it handles both on the dirt and on the tar, although it is a bit of a handfull in the dirt.

PS, I have been checking out the forum for about 8 months and am pleased to say it formed a substantial part of my decision to go the adventure route. Looking forward to many hours on the bike and the forum.