Old Mill up and down, where no bike went before.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicco

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I did a lot of enquiry about this route and even downloaded it. It looked quite challenging from the couple of photos I looked at and we couldn't wait to get started. The first couple of kilo's we've done before but had to turn back at the farmhouse due to rain, this time we were ready...or so we thought....

I didn't bother to switch my new garmin GPS on until we've reached the farmhouse, when we got there and stopped for a couple of dapper drippels  shots (it was still early morning 3 deg) I realised the route never saved on my GPS. No problem, I thought, surely the route will be visible, and we had a general idea where we wanted to end up....

We carried on and the route was getting more and more difficult, things were going fine and after each little "challenge" we thought it could get worse but guess what, it did....Later there wasn't any more road, just a goat path, things got bad...but we kept on, each challenge taking every drop of energy out of us, at some places we had to help each other to get over the obstacles...mainly deep ruts and huge boulders....Funny I thought...this was never mentioned in any of the other reports.....

By this time the sun was moving in behind the mountains, and still, no path, road or route to connect to on the gps, We walked up the path for about 1k and by this time my 2 companions realised something I already knew, these bikes will never ever get over this mountain without help...help from a military helicopter......

We realised we were clearly on the wrong track and decided to turn back. By my calculation we would make it just in time to the bottom at the farmhouse before dark...now the fun really started....uphill was fun, the same route down a nightmare....we were out of dapper drippels, ideas and energy...at some places we only got through on prays...the bikes were dropped a couple of times and on the downdip it was impossible to pick it up by yourselves...but will we do it again..hell yes, hopefully this time on the right route...

I also forgot to take a camera, these pics were taken with my cellphone.....no pics on the way back, there were no time and no one was in the mood to pose.....

Attachments

• 07082011.jpg
    07082011.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 900
  • 07082011_001.jpg
    07082011_001.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 903
  • 07082011_005.jpg
    07082011_005.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 893
  • 07082011_008.jpg
    07082011_008.jpg