Opinion on 1150GSA 2004

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinusBez

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
Hello fellow dogs

I'm in the market for a GSA but my budget is limited to less than 70k give or take a few.
I saw this on the for sale board and the owner tells me the bike is still available.
TornadoF5 said:
Hi guys I'm posting this on behalf of a friend of mine Douglas Harper, so forthwith please do not contact me via PM or email as I can't help you. Contact Douglas on his phone at 076-866-0886 and he is based in Knysna.
The bike I can assure you is well looked after bar few minor scratches and photos will speak evidence of this.

2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Asking price is R70 000-00 now R68 000-00
Has the following extras:

- heated Grips
- 2 x plug points for chargers etc
- outside jumpstart points
- panniers
- tank bag
- Tools etc

This bike is in Knysna so another question is to fellow dogs in and about the Knysna region to check it out for me.

He confirmed it to be a full spec GSA (heated grips and ABS) and twinspark model.
I've since learned the twinspark engineering served an issue regarding some surging but after a quick search found this (surging) problem to be minimal and some dogs would rather opt for the single spark. Not to mention coil discussions which seem like a pricey fix.

Now, it has been many years since I basically stripped my 1300 Conquest sump to reseal the bloody thing near every weekend and had my hands on some proper mechanical work done.

What does the coil thing mean and is it something you can "feel" when riding. What are the things to look out for when buying an oldish bike.

I know some here said that these bikes are bullet proof but experience tells me if you take care after things they'll last forever, that same bullet proof bike might not make it after a few k's with Mr Fuc<!T up.

I want to use the bike for gravel excursions and long trips (with my dad on his 1200GSA), the less tar the better.

Some observations from the photos
1. Front left shock near the disc shows some wear (being close to the ocean is rust an issue, what is this)
2. Not a major for me but the tank sticker on the left is "incomplete" - like I said no issue just an observation
3. Left pod guard scratched (photo doesn't do justice). Was it in an accident, I'll ask the owner in any event depending on feedback.
4. Is the exhaust simply dirty or is that rust - needless to say I'll ask
5. Rear rim my just be dirty but doesn't have that original pinkish glow to it. Then again it could been replaced but my worry is more that it is a GS built up. Not that I have a problem with the GS but when I buy something and on the tin it says GSA it must be GSA.

Feel free to add things I should ask the owner before asking a fellow dog(s) in the are to check it out and book my flight from ORT to George.

Tinus