Our 9000km Bike Trip (Ommie Land Vannie Rand) for Andrio (with Leukaemia)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritzie

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I am planning to travel around inside South Africa on my motorcycle for about a month starting in middle December. The idea is to ride as near as possible to the border and coastline of South Africa in a clockwise direction (from Pretoria, Barberton, Kosibaai, Durban, Wildekus, PE, Cape Lâ??Agulhas, Cape Town, Alexanderbay, Bray(!), Mussina, Hoedspruit, Komatipoort, Barberton and Pretoria, only to mention a few).  The estimated distance should be more or less 9 000 km and will include dirt roads and back roads.  The decision of the trip was taken on 9 October after a discussion with my family and a lot of arrangements will still have to be made before my departure!

The reason for this â??crazyâ?? plan is twofold:

1. I have a great passion for travel and always wanted to do such a trip.  I always say that my favourite destination is one where I have never been to before (have you ever been to Obobogarab, Hakskeenpan, Baardskeerdersbos or Grootmis?  Me neither.  What does it look like there â?¦. ?).
2. I have always wanted to make a contribution towards helping my best friend, Riaan de Langeâ??s brotherâ??s son, Andrio (11 years old) , but never really knew how.  Andrio has Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia and is in desperate need of a bone marrow transplant. Funds are needed for the search and testing of possible overseas bone marrow donors since no suitable donor could be found in SA.  Needless to say, it is an extremely expensive exercise. It is also important to make people aware of how they can help by becoming a possible bone marrow donor. This will not only benefit Andrio, but many other people who suffer from similar diseases. Furthermore, it is important to clarify the misconception that bone marrow tests and donations involve a â??lumbar punchâ?, which is not the case at all and actually involves minimal discomfort.  Read more on the websites www.andriodelange.co.za and www.sunflowerfund.org.za.

VIOLA!  It did not take long to merge the above two ideas â?? a day or two to be precise!

My idea is to have flyers printed which I will hand out and chat to people about where ever I end up. I am also planning to visit institutions like local newspapers, clubs etc, to spread the message of Andrio and the bone marrow transplant fund. Further exposure will be through the printing of t-shirts and stickers for my bike containing the relevant information. Since I will travel mostly along the coastal areas, I am hoping for exposure amongst holiday goers. As with many of my trips in the past, I will write a report about the trip upon my return.  One of my reports, or at least part of it, was published in the September issue of the DriveOut/WegRy magazine. I hope the â??Ommie Rand Vannie Landâ? (Ride Around the Land) trip report, or parts thereof, will also be published to give further exposure to Andrioâ??s situation.

If anybody wants to help, they can do so as follows:

BECOME A STEM CELL DONOR
Contact Toll Free: 080012 10 82 or visit https://www.sunflowerfund.org.za

MAKE A FINANCIAL DONATION VISIT:
https://www.andriodelange.co.za/how-can-i-help.html

BECOME A BLOOD / PLATELETS DONOR
Contact the SANBS on 0800 11 90 31 or visit www.sanbs.org.za

This will be the first time that I will tackle such a campaign and any ideas and proposals are welcome.