Our bonding tour

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oetie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
When Riana suggested to me about three weeks ago that we should go on a bike trip to get back to basics and find sanity again, I immediately jumped to work out the route and book accommodation. This would be her first ever trip on the bike with me, something I have been dreaming of for a very long time….

We both had a very challenging year and we needed the time together without the kids to bond again and to strengthen ourselves and our relationship for the coming year.

Friends came to our assistance to look after the kids when they volunteered to stay with the kids in our house, as it would give them a change to do some work on their house.

I gave Riana the bigger pannier of the GSA for her clothing, took the smaller left pannier for myself and made place for her “lady tassie” in the top box with the rain suits and tool roll. I recently acquired a small Touratech multipurpose bag that can be strapped onto a pannier/top box or the bike self for the puncture repair kit (not knowing that it would come very handy later....), cable ties and spare gloves. On the other pannier a small bag was fastened for the odds and ends that we could not fit into the panniers and top box (in here I discovered later an extra towel and a pair of high heel sandals that was never used….) The tank bag was used for the camera, our wallets, sunglasses, cell phones, iPod and chargers.

I was initially concerned that Riana would not be able to cope with the one pannier, especially when she started to name all the clothing that she wanted to take along. I just left her with the pannier inner bag and much to my surprise ALL her clothing fitted into the bag!! Upon our return,  we took stock of what we did not use, and we both ended up with one t-shirt, one pair of socks and a clean pair of underpants. I was mightily impressed with my biker chicks’ packing skills, especially as she is an image consultant who ensures that the every item worn, fit together!!

Day 1 – 17 December

D-Day was 17 December. I initially wanted to leave at around ten, but with all the motherly responsibilities, we only managed to leave at 11. From Centurion we followed the highways around Joburg to the R59 towards Vereeniging and onto Parys where we had our first stop for the day.

Dec09Day11.jpg

Dec09Day12.jpg

From Parys we travelled to Kroonstad via Vredefort, avoiding the highway. We enjoyed an ice cream in Kroonstad and then travelled to Bloemfontein for the night via Henneman, Virginia and Theunissen.

Day 1 and 7 were the longest days of around 490km each.

I took it very careful not to frighten Riana on the first day, and to ensure she was at ease. The Autocom system on the bike assisted a lot as we could communicate with each other.
That night we enjoyed the Christmas lights and very good company of friends at the Bloemfontein Waterfront. We can recommend the exceptional service, cold beers and quality steak at Braza!!!

IMG00080-20091217-1948019.jpg

IMG00081-20091217-1948020.jpg

Day 2 – 18 December

Day two would take us from Bloemfontein to Cradock. My initial planning was to try and avoid the main roads. We were packed and ready to roll at around 09:00.

Dec09Day21.jpg

We travelled to Edenburg and Trompsburg before we stopped to stretch our legs and to get something to drink.

Dec09Day22.jpg

My initial plan was to travel from Trompsburg to Springfontein and to avoid the N1. This route turned out to be a gravel road, and as much as I wanted to take it, Riana asked me very nicely to please stay on the tar road until she was comfortable for us to travel on gravel.

Our planned route from Springfontein was to Bethulie, Venterstad, Steynsburg and Hofmeyr to Cradock. When we got to the Bethulie offramp, all the vehicles were diverted onto the road we planned to take from the N1 due to an accident on the N1 close to Colesburg. We stopped in Bethulie for lunch that consisted of cheesecake and strawberry milkshakes.

Dec09Day23.jpg

Dec09Day24.jpg

Dec09Day25.jpg

Dec09Day28.jpg

We were both happy chappies, enjoying every second together. Even her eyes said so….

Dec09Day26.jpg

Dec09Day27.jpg

The road from Bethulie to Venterstad took us over a very long bridge that crossed the Orange River. On the map it actually showed as crossing a part of the Gariepdam.

Dec09Day29.jpg

Bethulie from the bridge

Dec09Day210.jpg

The Beast and a happy couple

Dec09Day211.jpg

Dec09Day212.jpg

We had another stop in Hofmeyr before reaching Cradock.

Dec09Day213.jpg

EntercustomnamehereDec09-140.jpg

We experienced Cradock as a town with warm and wonderful people. We enjoyed a romantic candle lit dinner at the Cradock Hotel – a proper cooked meal like we had years ago when we were children!!

IMG00086-20091218-1856017.jpg

Do yourself a favour and have supper at the hotel in Cradock!!!!

Day 3 – 19 December

Today we would see the coast and we were both very excited. I started to pack the bike and discovered a flat rear tyre while Riana was meditating before the day starts. I could see no nails and the only visible damage was a cut in the tyre I was aware of for the last 5 000km’s. I used one CO2 bomb to inflate the tyre enough to get to a garage as there was NO air in the tyre.
Suddenly, some of the movement on the rear (started the previous day) started to make sense, and I thought it was the road that caused it…. This also meant that I travelled from around Bethulie with a deflated rear….

In Cradock we stayed at the Heritage House B&B. We had a delightful breakfast and great service from the guesthouse owners!!

Dec09Day31.jpg

Dec09Day32.jpg

Dec09Day33.jpg

EntercustomnamehereDec09-088.jpg

A few kilometers outside Cradock I stopped to check the tyre pressure which was fine at that stage.

Dec09Day34.jpg

EntercustomnamehereDec09-090.jpg

Riana came to the conclusion that she drove far enough as pillion to have enough experience to write a book “101 ways to sit on a bike”. It was evident in her moving behind me that she probably found the 50th way to sit!!!!!

When we reached Cookhouse I again stopped to check the pressure. The tyre was losing air very fast and after a careful inspection and with the assistance of water poured onto the tyre, I nailed the problem down to the cut I picked up about 5 000km’s before. It took me 3 plugs to repair the tyre and we were on our way again.

Dec09Day35.jpg

Looking at the threat, I personally think this is not bad for the Heidenhau that did about 14 000km’s!!

When we left home, Riana said she wants to shout from the highest hill top to get rid of her frustrations, I had to give her the opportunity while checking on my tyre fixing ability.

Dec09Day36.jpg

This also gave me time for some interesting photography.

Dec09Day38.jpg

Dec09Day39.jpg

Dec09Day310.jpg

At last we were at the coast, two weary, but very happy individuals.

Dec09Day311.jpg

Dec09Day312.jpg

EntercustomnamehereDec09-104.jpg

Day 4 was spent around PE at the Boardwalk with special family and I actually forgot the camera at home when we went out….