Our first dream tour

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
We did it at last!

The trip we dreamed about. (Actually, the dream was to do a decent trip-anywhere, as long as we spend extended time in the saddle)

KiloBravo being the overprotective spouse, me being a leisure rider, we had to do a “trail run” to see if I could manage 400km a day.
We had a wonderfully successful trip to Dundee.

So two months later, the trip started.

We set out with vague plans. Ended up doing about 6000km in 4 weeks! Truly a leisurely trip.
First night at Jankempdorp, spending time with friends.

Thereafter the Northern Cape.  

We ended up in Kuruman.  Saw the “Oog”.

Keimoes followed. Beautiful and placid in a hot summer sun, and tranquil canals of water next to the main road. Flood damage from the February was still evident.

Long stretches of open roads and evidence of rain everywhere.
Calvinia was our next stop-over.

We were reminded of the famous South African hospitality again and again.
Everywhere we stopped to have a rest, coffee, or just to admire the scenery, at least one vehicle would enquire after our wellbeing.

The next morning we decided that Cape Town was within easy reach!

We stopped at the Clanwilliam dam to enjoy lunch.

At one extended lunch break we experienced something that would become one of THE stories of the trip:
After several cars (and trucks) kept slowing down to see if we are OK, an Opel Monza pulled up.
Out jumped four scruffy youths! At lightning speed I calculated my chances of survival-
(1)Run… not on.
(2)Ride…not on.  “Disrobed” and riding gear hanging haphazardly all over the bikes- bad idea.
(3)Hide…where?
Heart beating at breakneck speed, I realised that 2 of the chaps got back into the vehicle, and the other two are approaching us.

“Alles OK Oom?” was all they wanted to know.

I realised how tainted we ware from the crime around us. Mistrust  and fear WAS the first reaction.

Nevertheless – I love this country, and it is great riding in it

Another observation was how clean the Western Cape is.  Roads were in excellent condition, or else in the process of being resurfaced.
Every little town boasted new RDP- housing.

So we arrived in Durbanville and decided to stay a few days.
More of that part of the trip later.

Pictures to follow