Padkaart se Hallo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padkaart

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
Hallo Everyone,

My name is Fred, and I put my users name up as Padkaart here among all the Wild Dogs, because I love the road and Padkaarte (Roadmaps) makes me dream.

My bikes days and dreams to travel start way back in 1970 when I bought by first Suzuki AS 50. After I got married I had a Kawasaki 650 then much later a Honda CX 500.

Although time money and the family did not allow me to really continue travel with a bike, we travelled and explore Southern Africa in a 4x4 many times and with the Toyota Owners 4x4 Club. There is still the trip to Angola that we couldn't make with the 4x4 but it is still in my bucket list for one day. Who knows maybe now with the bike.

Two years ago I bought a Motomia Monza 250 to beat the traffic here in Pretoria and Gauteng. Well needless to say I didn’t have it for very long that I decided to feet it Weet-Bix that it can grow to something bigger. Money for a real big and mean machine there wasn't but I trust and pray for something better then the Monza.

Beginning May the dream came true when I picked up a Kawasaki KLE 500 with genuine 25000km on the clock and a service record for a few grand more then what I pay for the Motomia, and that went for the same price as what I paid for it.

Needless to say from the moment I took the bike for a test drive I fell in love with it. I never bean with a bike on a dirt road but the moment I took the shortcut home through the veldjie, I knew this bike go no where else then to my garage.

I bought the BIKE SA magazine and notice on the 1st of July there is The 1000 Bike Show hosted for classic Motorcycles Club in Johannesburg. I couldn't wait to for the day to come. I enjoy the show very much and could find among all the visitor's bikes only one other KLE 500 with many more km on.

I met Schalk Van Der Merwe at his stall and bought his book "Living the Dream Through Africa."  A dream that came true for him at the age of 65 after being a lot of other places including the equator with his son earlier.

Well if I dreamed about roads and padkaarte I must say Schalk became an instigator through his book that I can recommend for everyone who dream to travel Africa.

Well Schalk is an old Wild Dog and he did not loose one opportunity to refer everyone, me included, to this forum it you are serious about travelling with your bike.

Well I joined last week and only got an opportunity to log on last night. After browsing a bit through the site I came across the modifications Adventure MX made to his Kawasaki KLE 500 (posted in 2008 to 2009) and also Nikza who is still active on the forum. Thank you very much guys, I appreciate your postings that started way back in 2008 and we are already in 2016. I could tag Nikza as friend but somehow I could not find Adventure MX or his post again after I lost my internet connection. I got so many links and advice and incites in the two hours that I spent on the site that it is going to take me months to apply everything to my bike what I saw and experience on the site. And then I must still plan an Africa trip!

I would love to meet you guys. I notice Nikza is in Durbanville, my one son lives there also. I gather that Adventure MX is also here in Pretoria but somehow I could not tag him as a friend or even get to his posting about the mods that he did to his Kawa. Please help to make contact with him? My number is 0824417030

Thank you guys I feel privilege to be part of this forum and I am looking forward to meet many of you and learn from you and ride with you.

Especially I want to learn how to handle a bike on the dirt road. I got my Phd. (Professional Pothole Dodger Degree) in Malawi with a Toyota Venture  later I did it with many other cars and 4x4 but never with a bike.

Schalk and I already set an appointment, so when the time is right we will sit together with a cold one or a nice warm coffee to elaborate on our dreams and padkaarte .

Regards

Padkaart

Attachments

• Kawasaki KLE 500.jpg
    Kawasaki KLE 500.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 146