Pappegaaiberg ride, - and some thumper fun.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboef

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Following my bike's first fall on Pappegaaiberg last week, I decided to take some other people up there as well so they can fall too. Falling is much more fun if its someone else doing it.

I arrived at The Dros first and sat in the shade waiting for the other.
Dolf and Felix arrived next - on similar bikes, in similar jackets and pants.

Then Scribble and his pal (sorry, forgot the name) rocked up next on the BIG bikes.

Last was Topbox on the drool-alicious XR650R. Oooh, she's purdy.....

dsc04713rd8.jpg

Scribble's mate on the 1200, Topbox on the Honda

dsc04715zi1.jpg

My steed.

dsc04716ic2.jpg

On top op Pappegaaiberg.

To get to the top, you have to sort of ride around the mountain, always climbing (not like my unsuccesful attempt at climbing it vertically the other day... :p :-[ ;D)
Its Level 2-3 stuff, nothing too technical.
We went up to the top, then rode around, looking for new tracks to explore.

dsc04717kn4.jpg

Stellenbosch - a nice view

We found tracks that wandered off onto some private land. We followed it into vineyards. Very lush, very green this time of the year - soon the Valies will be begging us for the latest produce from these fine plants. ;D

dsc04718bn9.jpg

dsc04719oj3.jpg

Wine, but not yet...

We followed some more tracks, getting more adventurous with each passing moment.
Down at the foot of Pappegaaiberg is a graveyard - and there the tracks run out. They just stop dead in the middle of nowhere - right next to the graveyard. So where did quick 180's and hightailed it out of there before some ancient curse could be cast on us by the undead lurking in the shadows.

dsc04720rw6.jpg

Topbox escaping the trap. :eek:

dsc04721sl7.jpg

dsc04724vk1.jpg

This must be what it feels like to ride the Erzberg rodeo.   Ok, sort of. ::)

dsc04727fk6.jpg

We descended a downhill slope that started out easy, and then turned into a rutted mudfest on the way down. Careful brake application and fancy footwork was required to keep the bikes upright. Scribble's ABS was on, and he had a moment there where I was sure he was going down, but he wrestled that pig expertly like an expert pig wrestler. Nicely done man. ;) 8)

Here we decided to split up, with me, Topbox, Dolf, and Felix still up for some distance.
So we 4 decided to head out to Theewaterskloof dam, over Franschoek pass in search of some distance and some more dirt.
We rode over Helshoogte pass, the through Franschoek were the last of the soopabike-breakfasst run crowd was just busy zipping up their leaters and paying their bills.
A blast over Franschoek pass, and there was Theewaterskloof dam. We had some great rains, the dam is filled to the brim. I've never seen it so full.

dsc04728xv9.jpg

Another piccie of my boney. Its a GREAT bike. Its Honda's version of the KLR. Decades old technology, but with decent suspension (unlike the KLR). All things being equal, I think I'm in love...

dsc04730gu9.jpg

Topbox enjoying the scenery.

dsc04731ka4.jpg

Pushing a bike? I thought they were meant to be ridden? ??? ;D

dsc04732rv2.jpg

dsc04734lu0.jpg

Dolf doing the Dakar. With Felix hot on his heels.

dsc04736ne8.jpg

Van Der Stel's pass was lovely. It has just been scraped, so the surface was level with some loose stuff on top - just what you need to keep the juices pumping.

dsc04737uv8.jpg

Please, somebody donate some mirrors to Topbox. ;D

dsc04739ku4.jpg

In Botriver we had a few beers and sandwiches at the Hotel.
The kitchen was already closed, but the owner came out to our table and said he would throw together some lamb and tomato sarmies. It went down well with the cold beers.

dsc04740na3.jpg

Topbox, Dolf, Felix.

From Botrivier we then rode in the direction of Kleinmond, where we took the turnoff to Highlands road. I was hoping to show the other guys the stunning views of the ocean from the top of the Kogelberg nature reserve, but no such luck. At the t-junction there is now a gate, so you cant enter. Thanks to someone for f*cking it up for everybody. :mad:

So we just carried straight on towards Grabouw. Highlands road is in a terrible state. Corrucated like farking hell, with loose stones the size of beercans lying all over the road. Its paradise for a 650 thumper, but bigger bikes will have a hard time there.

We hit the tar near Elgin and then the N2 at Grabouw. Followed the N2 home in howling wind that came over Sir Lowry's in gusts that threatened to rip my helmet off and dump me over the cliff.
Luckily it was not my day to be dumped over any cliffs ;D, so all went well, and we went our separate ways soon thereafter.

All in all, a great day out riding.
Total distance, approx. 300k's
Time in saddle - approx. 5 hours
Fun had - approx. a moerse lot. ;D O0