• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

PE 175 For Sale R22 000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteb

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
It is with a bit of a heavy heart that I put this little one up for sale, but I need to downsize and make space and she is the one getting least attention right now. I restored this about 6 or 7 years ago, its a 1981 PE 175. And no, I don't have any papers.

The Good:
I went over every last nut and bolt during the restoration. I tried to get everything as good as new, and in most cases better than new. I've probably forgotten a lot of what went into it but I can say the following at least was brand new:
New plastics (except for tank and airbox), original Suzuki side panels, aftermarket fenders (wasn't really happy with the aesthetic of the original ones), new aftermarket headlight shroud/number board, new seat cover, new graphics
New Clutch, both brakes, throttle and speedo cables
New bars, barkbusters, grips, sprockets, chain, tyres, brake shoes, throttle, air filter
Fork stanchions re hard chromed, new seals
Ohlins shocks, new seals and end eyes (and I'll throw in the tools for servicing them)
A zillion and one new 'odds and ends', springs, bearings, etc.
New rebore, and new piston, rings and small end, and entire motor /clutch/gearbox checked over. Replaced odds and ends. I checked out the big end and crank and it was within spec so didn't replace
All metal parts bead blasted to bare metal, and then a variety of coatings used depending upon application
Many 'used' parts bought via the net and brought back to original
Countless hours of my own hard work restoring, including various milled items to improve on traditional weak points in the little bike

aeqf5br.jpg

1wBnzBx.jpg

The Bad:
So I got it all done, knowing there was one issue. When I bought the bike (a real basket case) the needle in the carb was bent/trashed (I think someone may have put the slide in back to front at some stage). I ordered a new one from Suzuki (along with countless other things) and when the order arrived they hadn't supplied it. Knowing that I would at some stage I would need to replace it, I tried to clean up the old one just to get her running. The buyer will have to get a new one (they are still available)
So I put some premix in her, started her up, tweaked a few things on the carb, and took her for a run around the block to clean her out and check gears, clutch, brakes, etc. Just a 'I'm sooo chuffed this is done' run. Parked her in the garage. Next morning I walk in there, and I could smell petrol. Thought it was odd, because I had turned the petcock off (and replaced the bits inside with a new kit and checked previously it was working). To my dismay I saw the tank had cracked overnight, and the fuel had been dripping over the exhaust/motor. The motor paint was ok, but the pipe paint had bubbled.

BUzzsy8.jpg

dl8Vnzw.jpg

And thats where it basically ended. I just haven't had the time/energy/inclination to start the process over again. Just was so dispirited. Maybe if she doesn't sell it will be a sign for me to start again. I do have another tank I sourced, but I an't guarantee it won't crack as well.

naJF5D9.jpg

Price. I'm putting it on at R22 000. From memory that's almost exactly half of what I sunk into her (aside from the man hours). If you want more info you can email me [email protected] or whatsapp zero ate 3 6 5 6 ate 9 5 0.