Pinging and Surging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volroom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
So, I just want to know...have you ever experienced either knocking, or pinging (detonation) or surging with your bikes. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe pinging is when the gas mixture ignites before the spark. The worst kind is where maximum pressure arrives when your piston is TDC. It's audible, sound like the sound when you shake a can of spray paint with a metal ball inside to mix the paint.

Surging supposedly is when you back of the throttle after accelerating, and the revs for a moment keep climbing. Supposedly, this also happens if you have a delay when you want to accelerate.

Guys in the rest of the world have been blaming these issues on R1150 bikes, but I don't think I've ever experienced any of it. Even Welsh says that he's never had it. Possibly, one reason for the twin spark was to alleviate pinging... The quality of fuel does play a role, the lower the octane rating, the higher the possibility of pinging. I always fill up with 95. Anyone filling up with 93, and experiencing pinging? Riders elsewhere has mentioned that they don't get 95, only 93. Some riders even have to fill up with 87! Seems the compression ratio of 10.3:1 is not that low for our bikes. With knock sensors, it would be a different story. The R1200GS has such, and retards the ignition timing if it senses pinging which alleviates it. In this way, it could get away with a compression ratio of 12:1! I wonder if it also used oil flow to cool the combustion chamber, more than on the R1150GS, the higher the compression ratio, the more heat, the more likely hood of pinging.

Any comments welcome