PIPES PIPES PIPES

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stof

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
I am taking this from a reply to a thread and posting here. Can we please try to get the pipes thread to end all pipe threads!? (If the moderators allow me to duplicate here...). Here goes:

"I have a few questions:

How does removing the baffles from the stock pipes compare to after market free flow IN TERMS OF SOUND? That is what I currently have on, but I'm in the market for a much louder bark.

I see no reference to Cowley in this thread; what do you guys think?

Basically, I can't make the decision, and I want you guys to advise. I have been researching the whole day and can't seem to find an answer. A bit of a summary as I have it is given below. Please please please peruse and comment, especially you big guys who know the stuff very well.

Ak: Loud, top end pipe, preferred by most, but too expensive (R15k?)

LV: Eventual most popular one, balanced pipe with medium price, good value, decent sound (R8k?)

FMF: Very similar to LV, maybe bit less popular. My personal preference one (R6k?). Nicest decals. Lekker dirt bike pedigree...

Wings: SA made one with styling that people like (dunno why), medium class pipe (R8k)

Cowley: Pipe with elusively little review on. Some other thread referred to another bike as "loud, but not Cowley-twin loud". Apparently very cheap, (R4K?). Sounds like the one I need...

Scorpio (?) and others: Dunno anything.

I guess this is an unnecessary upgrade to do, but buying the bike and riding it was never about sensibility for me. I also like to let the compression do the talking in the traffic, and LOVEVVEVEEEE the occasional backfire. What I really want, though, is to set of car alarms when I pass, you know...

I know the freeflow will throw the engine optimality off and blah blah, but what I don't know is whether I would suddenly drop to 8 km/l and lose the engine whithin 10 000km's and shit like that.

Can someone please help me put this one to bed? Thx