Planning a Ri Ride: Long Way Round to EC Bash 24/25 April - 11 May 2020

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ri

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Hi Dogs,

I booked for the EC Bash from 8 - 10 May 2020, and started considering routes to Baviaanskloof. I noticed that 1 May, Workers (Down Tools) Day falls on a Friday, making for a loooong weekend, and I got to thinking....

The itinerary:

1 May 2020: Somerset West to Sedgefield / Knysna / area and camp out (route to be determined)
2 May 2020: Knysna to Angie's G-spot with friend, his daughter and her fiancé
3 May 2020: Angie's G-spot to Grahamstown via a nice gravel route supplied by ruffian, and wild camp somewhere in or near Grahamstown.
4 - 6 May 2020: Meander around the Eastern Cape, traversing in and out of the Mtsontsi, the iKroomi, the Katberg, the Elandsberg, and the Winterberg ranges, camping or wild camping.
7 May 2020: Return to Grahamstown and wild camp somewhere in or near Grahamstown
8 May 2020: Ride to EC Bash, maybe joining [member=1336]edgy[/member] , Big Dom, [member=2306]THROTTLE JOCKEY[/member] and [member=5192]Firecoast[/member], or ruffian, if he decides to go (I'd love to ride side entry, if possible)
8 - 10 May 2020: EC Bash!
10 May 2020: Baviaanskloof towards CT, camping somewhere for the night (route to be determined, but probably along Route 62, through Anysberg etc.)
11 May 2020: Overnight spot to Somerset West (route to. be determined)

Any suggestions for possible routes and places to camp on Day 1 - 5, Day 10 and Day 11 would be greatly appreciated.

If you'd like to join but don't like camping, you're welcome to make your own sleeping arrangements. If you'd like to ride straight back to Cape Town on 10 May 2020, that can also be done.

Please keep in mind I don't travel very fast, but I can travel for long hours. I prefer gravel and will go out of my way to avoid tar.

EDIT: My employer has rejected my leave application. Apparently I need to take longer leave to comply with policy ;D  My leave will now start from Tuesday 28 April, 27 April being a public holiday, which means I can start riding afternoon of the 24th April should I wish.

I'm thinking I can ride a bit further maybe... :ricky: