Plastic tank repair - please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
I recently found my IMS 19l tank on my DR leaking.

Upon closer scrutiny I located a tiny hole on the upper inside channel of the tank where it rests on the bike's frame. So small, in fact that if the tank is filled on the workbench, no leak appears.

If, however, you apply a bit of pressure (by pressing against the surrounding plastic with your finger) it will start leaking. When the tank is mounted, the plastic must be under a bit of pressure and that is when the leak starts again :mad:

My theory is that it was probably caused by a small sharp stone that managed to lodge itself there and cause a puncture. Hopefully the reason is not because the tank is of k@rk quality.

In any event, it will be a loss to just write it off, or to have to carry spare fuel all the time on my luggage rack which could be better utilised for the intended purpose.

What are my options? Can it be plastic welded? Whatever the cure, it must be of a permanent nature and able to last.

Any help will really be appreciated.     

Thanks