Pooratech Bikeable Kettle Braai - Ver 3.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
About a year ago I was playing about with the idea of making a bikeable kettle braai, and ended up making one as described in this thread.. .  

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=62960.0

After a bit of playing about I manged to get some good results with it, but it had a few issues I only discovered after use.

1, It is messy. The cooker has quite a few parts, and once used it needs to be dismantled. Problem is that all the bits are greasy and smoky and if not near a wash basin it is hard to get clean, and I end up all grubby.

2. It was just too small. There was room for a small chicken, but that was about all. If I wanted to do a few potatoes or onions, I had to make a separate fire or get the multi-fuel cooker fired up.

3. As a normal open grid braai it was useless. Too small and not enough cooking area.

While browsing a catering supply shop up in Hillcrest -(can't remember it's name but its in Builder's Way at about S29 47.177 E30 46.345) I saw a couple of stainless steel rectangular basins I though may work so I bought them, but I never got the project off the ground as I have limited tools in Durban, and I could not find a way of cutting and drilling the metal.

The basin thingies sat in a drawer.

But about a month ago I bough a Dremel for some other projects, and this makes cutting stainless steel easy, so I brought the project back to life.

So a bit of cutting and drilling and I have what I had in mind.

The little flaps on the top are hinges covering a few breather holes for temperature adjustment, and the feet on the bottom are electrical conduit brackets.

How does it work? I dunno. It's a bit drizzly outside so the chicken I bought to test ended up as a Thai chicken curry in the wok.

It will fit two small chickens, or one big one and some tin-foil veggies.

I'll test it over the long weekend and report back.  The whole thing is probably lighter than Ver1, and that was no problem on the bike. I will need to make a bag for it.

Attachments

• Img_1346.jpg
    Img_1346.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 606
  • Img_1345.jpg
    Img_1345.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 606
  • Img_1341.jpg
    Img_1341.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 611