Potchefstroom Service Roads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
Jules arrange a trip to Potchefstroom. On a previous trip it had ended badly for some riders. The route can be treacherous if wet and muddy. We had a beautiful day which made conditions safer, although, more dusty.

A large group of riders showed up early on Sunday morning at Pinehaven Sasol. Jules had his work cut out to keep this lot together. This he did admirably - a hidden military nature part of his makeup.

The first section to Carletonville was on tar. There we joined the railway service roads and enjoyed the off road biking. We did have a delay as someone had a puncture. The convoy was back in motion in no time.

Almost too soon we arrived in Potchefstroom to a well-deserved breakfast and some good company.

Once all fed and satisfied, it was the turn of the bikes for some fuel. Off again on service roads, homeward bound.

Unfortunately, Just Biking decided that he was not letting his bike go down at any cost and dabbed with his foot to keep his bike from sliding out. Being a big adventure bike, the stress on his leg was tremendous. I was just behind him and glimpsed the save but was shocked to see him slow down and fall over under his bike. This was serious. I stopped, jumped off my bike to help him. He managed to sit up by himself and I was left trying to pick up his bike. Rather unsuccessfully until another biker helped me out.

All was not well and the best-case scenario was not good. He wanted to try riding his bike. With some effort and pain he got onto his bike. Jules made a modification to his gear lever so that he could pull it with his hand as his leg was of no use. Off we went on a self rescue mission. My concern was to reach a hospital as soon a possible. As he lives in Pretoria he wanted to reach home. Getting onto the N1 highway turned out to be an unnecessary adventure with our GPS’s taking us up a dead end dirt road. Not the sort of detour we need at the time. Once on the highway things went much better.

We had a toll road to go through. I went ahead and paid for both of us so that he would not have to stop and just rolled through the gate.

A little disappointed that he went home first instead of straight to hospital. His leg was exceptionally painful which made getting off his bike into his car difficult. Not have a wheelchair handy, we used an office chair with wheels and wheeled him to his car. That is as much as I know. Hope he gets the best care and is back on two wheels in no time.

The Potchefstroom ride live up to its reputation, unfortunately. It was only a pleasure and an honour to have been of some help.  

Pictures
Potch472.jpg

Potch492.jpg

Potch496.jpg

Potch504.jpg

Potch507.jpg

Potch510.jpg

PotchMap.jpg