Properly kitted 530 and rider

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtWarp

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
https://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=2282.0

I've done about 5000 desert miles and 151hrs on my 530EXC now and it's been absolutely perfect for the kind of riding I do with it.  There isn't any other bike I'd currently trade my 530 for.....well except another 530!   
391375.gif

I have a friend that decided to sell his low hr 2010 Sixdays 530 set up very similar to mine so I decided to sell my trusty steed and purchase his (a fast way to take 100  hrs off my bike).  I swapped a few key components around and put my 2010 Champion Edition 530 (Redbull) up for sale and had it sold within a few days. 

My Redbull bike on our last desert trip together

DSC02646.jpg

And a picture of my "new" Sixdays 530....almost ready for a distance trip to the desert.  I still have a couple minor items to install etc.

DSC02805.jpg

And here's a list of my mods/farkles that I've added to the bike to make it reliable out in the middle of nowhere as well as a list of the equipment that I use during desert trips.

BIKE:

*Scotts Sub Mount Steering Damper – The little gold magic box!
*Cleanspeed Cable Guide – Keeps your throttle cables clear of the Damper and the handle bars. I have also used the fuel hose/cable tie method with great results...I recently switched to the *Cleanspeed unit for a more "factory" look. Link to a pic of the hose mod: CLICK HERE
*Enduro Engineering Handlebar Risers – Great for people with long ape arms like me.
*Cycra Pro-Bend Hand Guards
*Ignition Map Switch – Not really needed in my opinion. I run in the high setting pretty much 100% of the time
*Trail Tech 8” Halogen Race Light and Brake Hose Guide – Light that is actually usable! The stock 530 light is the worst I’ve ever ridden behind! The 8" light is not DOT legal but I run it aimed low on the street and have never had a issue with it. Here's a link to my Re-wire and Install of the 8" Racelight on my original EXC:  CLICK HERE. I also run a Aerostitch 3M headlight guard film on the face of the light to help keep it in one piece out on the trail. Link to the film here: CLICK HERE
*Bullet Proof Designs Radiator Braces – Awesome build quality and rock solid!
*KTM Fan Kit – Great for slow trail riding...a must have!
*Trail Tech 100W Stator – A must have upgrade when using the fan kit
*Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 Lithium Battery.
*C.R.T Coolant Recovery Bottle – Installed in the air box. Cheap insurance if you overheat in the middle of know where so you don’t lose any coolant.
*Double Take Mirror – Built like a tank, folds nicely and is actually usable! Get them here: CLICK HERE
*GPS - The 478 used to be the KING of GPS units for ADV riding.  I've recently sold the 478 and purchased a Garmin Montana which works even better for remote desert travel.  The 478 limits you to 15 tracks at 700 points each (that can really cause problems), the Montana holds 200 Tracks at 10,000 points each!  LOTS BETTER!  Here's a link to a more detailed description between the two units:  CLICK HERE
*Touratech GPS Bar Mount Adaptor
*Works Connection Skid Plate – Fit is excellent and offers great protection and increased ground clearance.
*Clockworks Gas Tank – My “normal” tank for single tracking etc. Fit and build quality are excellent. More pictures of the tank here: CLICK HERE
*Acerbis 6gal Desert Tank – Great tank for long desert trips. Link to pic of heat shield installed on underside of tank: CLICK HERE
*JD Jet Kit - Highly recommended.
*JD Fuel Screw - Brass tip
*7602 Racing T6 Carburetor Vent Line Filter Kit – Great unit to keep sand/dirt out of your carb slide  Link:  CLICK HERE
*Rear “Shark Fin” with carrier – Enduro Engineering
*Enduro Engineering Clutch Saver with Metal Knock Down Bar - Cheap insurance!
*14-52 Gearing
*Iron Man Rear Sprocket,OEM Front Sprocket
*KTM Euro LED Tail Light – Fit is excellent and build quality is very high.
*Sicass Rear LED Flush Mounted Turn Signals – Mounts up nicely to the Euro Tail Light.
*Enduro Engineering Seat – Standard/Standard
*Fastway Foot Pegs – Mounted in the low position to give more leg room. These pegs are great. Excellent traction and the wide stance really helps to keep your feet from getting sore at the end of a long days riding.
*“KTM” FMF Pipe - I run the stock pipe (uncorked) when using the GL bag.
*Dirt Tricks Cam Chain Tensioner
*Bullet Proof Designs Chain Guard Tab Brace
*Pro-Moto Billet Kick Stand – Super strong and fits great!
*Custom Powdercoating on Clutch Cover
*Custom "Twist-A-Plate" License Plate Holder.  Link Here: CLICK HERE

Luggage:

Giant Loop Luggage - This luggage is absolutely awesome! Holds your gear tight to the bike so you can ride like a dirt bike with all your luggage. Everything stays in it's place and there is no metal frame work to bend/break in a crash. I've used this luggage on numerous long distance desert trips now and it's performed flawlessly.   I like to pack everything in small individual dry bags before loading them into the GL bag, keeps everything waterproof plus makes it easier to go after a specific item.   I recently upgraded to the new Coyote bag, can't wait for the next desert trip to try it out! 

Giant Loop Fandango Tank Bag - On our second trip I added the tank bag. Build quality is great and it's super handy as it allows you quick access to your camera, helmet cam, extra batteries/memory cards etc. I carry my camera in a zip lock bag inside the tank bag, keeps dust out of the camera and if you go down in a river crossing the camera won't be damaged. More pics of the tank bag here: CLICK HERE

Tools/Spares:

*Tire irons
*Spare Tube in a front fender pack (Remove the valve core from the spare tube, coat the tube in Talc, fold it up and place it in a vacuum seal-a-meal bag.  The vacuum will make it a fraction of it's normal size and the thick bag will offer abrasion resistance for the tube while it's in the pack.  If you need the tube while on the trail just cut open the pack, re-install the valve core and you have a pre-talc'd tube ready to go!)
*General hand tools...ie wrenches, pliers etc.
*Metal Epoxy stick - great for fixing
*Super Glue
*Snap Ties
*Electrical Tape, Rescue Tape
*Knife
*Lighter
*Tire Patches
*Tire Pump - I use the Crank Brothers Pump.  It's small, light weight and works great.  I carry it in the tank bag:  CLICK HERE
*Spare Spark Plug
*Spare Levers
*1 qt Oil
*Misc bolts
*Wallet Sized Multi-Meter:  CLICK HERE

Camping Supplies:
(These pictures are out of date by a couple years, minor things have changed).

*Big Agnes Lost Ranger sleeping bag & Big Agnes Sleeping Pad - Love It!
*Reactor sleeping bag liner
*Collapsible water bottle - boil water, fill bag, wrap in jacket liner and place in bottom of sleeping bag for really cold nights.
*Collapsible water bucket (not a must have but nice to keep around the fire in case of emergency) - Update:  Never really used it so I stopped carrying it. 
*MSR Wisperlight International Stove & Fuel bottle.  Update:  I've since switched to the Jetboil unit and LOVE IT!  Super fast, light weight, clean and compact.
*Water Pump/Purifier - Must Have!
*Bug head net
*Camp Chair - I used the A-lite 2 Leg chair and loved it -
[flash=640,480]https://www.youtube.com/v/4iJVTHaGvdc#[/flash]
*Big Agnes Seedhouse 2SL Tent - Great Tent!
*Misc pots, utensils, first aid kit, camera batteries, light ect.

IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg