Quad 4 Quads, Wilddog down!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron Bru

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Hi all,as my brother  O0 Sillystunt was attempting to win the GS skills challenge..........I was at the Mulbarton clinic having my left leg put in a cast.....EISH!.  So what happened???????
I had decided with a group of 3 other buddies to attempt the Quad 4 Quads ride from JHB to Ballito all offroad.This event raises cash for the disabled (ironic). On Thursday morning i arrived at my friends pad om my Dakar rearing to go. The event was to start at 10:00am,we arrived late as one friend got caught on the highway behind a terrible car crash. We arrived at thunder ally in Brakpan and set off about 10:40.
This is a huge event with about 400 other bikes and quads taking part. My mates and i decided that we would take it easy and enjoy. We were late so we had clear road ahead of us. 79km into my ride i approached a train bride,i was in third gear and chugging along at a very relaxed pace. As i got under the bridge (from sunlight to shade) i hit mud and water,before i knew what happened, my front wheel washed away to the right and landed in a very deep water filled hole. My left leg got trapped under the bike and "SNAP" eish...she's broken!! After receiving help from my buddies i realized that all the tracks were to the left of the  :peepwall: bridge. A Friendly marshall must have been on hand earlier to point the way... :laughing4:...yes we were late! My friends carried on as i was stupid enough to say i was ok and that i would find my way home. My MX boot was holding my leg neatly in place and i was under the impression that i had only torn ankle liggaments.......wrong again. I rode home on my Dakar changing gears with my heel. My lovely missus drove home from work and took me to hospital. What i want to know is that other BMW riders were at the event.....did they finish? My quad buddies said that my Dakar would not have managed the terrain. Before i booked,i asked about the route and was informed by the organizer that he had done the route on a Triumph tiger. So i had no problem with the Dakar. Guys attempted this route on 1200's,did any finish and what was it like???? If any wilddog did this ride or knows of any guys who did so on DS bikes,please let me know.
I fractured my fibula on my left leg but will recover and ride again,no damage to the bike as we landed in very deep mud and water. So school fees  :-[ have now been paid and i will slowwww down when i ride under a bridge. (from sunlight to shade)
Cheers......