R1200GS and rider taken out by a.....cow, bull, cattle???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustdevil

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
Or should I rather say cow, bull, cattle taken out by a rider and his R1200GS.

I am not sure about the sex of the unfortunate animal so I could not for sure say cow or bull and because there is no singular for cattle this is a real dilemma. Shows you that not even the human race have all the answers. How come we ended up going all these years without a single word that can describe the singular of one of the most common domestic animals around. Afrikaans uses the word bees.

A friend and acquaintance of mine which is also a Wilddog member(not sure of his forum name) and also a fellow rider, left Middelburg one evening late in December on his R1200GS on his way home to his farm outside of town.
Just outside town there is small flyover where the N9 and N10 routes converge. As Miles Bowker, known by friends and family as Milo, went through underneath the bridge a cow, bull, cattle walk straight into the road in front of Milo's bike. With the bridge obscuring the animal making it impossible for Milo to see the danger coming he had very little time to react and hit the animal straight on apparently killing it on impact. With a stop only about 200yards off he could not have been going much over 100km/h at the time.

Miles ended up in hospital and although he is recovering with his wife on the farm, he still does not recall anything of the event and is still sometimes having trouble keeping all his thoughts in a row. The GS was written of and the owner of the cow, bull, cattle is suing for damages.

This kind of incident is not isolated as my cousin have damaged her pickup hitting a cow that ventured onto the road in Steynsburg and I have heard of another Middelburg inhabitant whose son was involved in an accident with a cow, bull, cattle and also subsequently wrote of an expensive German model car.

None of the municipalities can be held liable as our laws are failing us. There are clear guidelines as to the municipalities responsibilities regarding road safety and keeping the animals of the roads, but both the municipalities actions or lack there of and the lack of law enforcement are endangering road users and their families.

When I recently stopped at the police station, conveniently across from my business in town, to complain about two donkeys in the road, the constables response was that they will send the van out to go chase them of the road ???