r1200gs antilock brake module bypass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bull Grackle

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Another request for advice from the technically Wild Dogs. As mentioned in an earlier post the ABS brake module on my 2007 GS crapped out last year. I live in a arid rural area and do half or more of my riding on gravel roads. I don't miss the ABS at all. So what's the problem (?) you might ask. I need to bleed the brake system at some point and flush out the accumulated moisture and all the other junk that collects in brake systems over time. I have worked on the brake systems of friends' bikes that were not serviced for extended periods and found lots of corrosion, pitted cylinders, disintegrating seals and O rings and worse. Sometimes this led to replacement of most of the system. I can only image how much that would cost in SA.

Does anyone in the great out there have any experience with bypassing the ABS module so that the rest of the brake system can be properly flushed? I just hate to fork over R18 000 for a new part that should not have failed in the first place. I am also reluctant to order a used module only to find that it either does work initially or fails in a relatively short time. No reflection on the recycling guys in Johannesburg but they can't be held indefinitely responsible for the performance of a used part. Oh by the way, I don't want to hear any bullshit about "if you can't afford the maintenance don't buy the bike". I have ridden BMW's with ABS systems for years and I know indefensible reliability when I see it.

Anyone want to bite on this?