R80GS - TDC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bossies

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
R80GS - 1992 model.

Want to adjust the valves as they are starting to get too noisy and ping. Specially on the right cylinder. Thing is I have never adjusted valves on a R80GS.

I have the manual which says to find TDC = indicated with "steepie" under a "0". Sounds easy enough. Go look and first get just a "streepie" and then 5 degrees later a "streepie" with a "T" next to it. So which one is TDC. If I was a betting man it would be the"T"...

Another thing, it's the first time I am checking valves on a multi cylinder bike. The manual makes it's sound as if there is only one top dead centre; but then that doesn't make sense as both cylinders can't be at TDC at the same time...or can they? Or is it TDC for the one and one rotation further TDC for the other.

If all else fails I will ignore the flywheel marking and in good old fashioned way turn the wheel till in and out valves are closer. But would prefer to know the "BMW" way with precision german engineering.