Re: CB400F "Custo-ration" - Finished!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BraveG

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
Hi guys,

First-time poster, but have been enjoying your builds for a while now and thought I should start a build thread of my own.

I bought this lovely '77 CB400F last year October and spent a few weeks cleaning it up, figuring out what secrets were hiding beneath the grease, getting it running smoothly and going riding every chance I could get to really get a feel for it.

I was planning to convert it into a good quality cafe racer and ultimately sell it, but have decided to keep her and go all out and spare no expense (well almost none) to turn her into a rocking cafe racer.

This is what I have in mind:

- 466cc Yoshi rebore
- Full engine rebuild and blueprinting
- heavy duty cam & race modified race tensioner
- DynaS electronic ignition
- CB750 frontend for improved handling and braking
- Racetec springs and emulator
- Rear shocks, probably Ohlins

This week I started on the stripdown to get the frame powder-coated, rims re-laced, and all aluminium parts polished to within an inch of their lives, while waiting for parts to come through and working on the engine. Cos I know you guys always ask for pics, here they are :)

Pre-stripdown

IMG_1886.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

Stripdown process
IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

The final pile
IMG_1964.jpg

Some inspiration for where I might be headed with this
3307399698376695_J6qzBjLd_c.jpg

Next task, stripping down carbs for a sodablasting, plating and re-assembly with new gaskets. Stay tuned :)