Real-time values by GS911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Not knowing what to make of the real time values provided by GS911, I called Hexcode for the normal values to compare mine against, but they do not have any. To try and make any sense out of these values I did a bit of research and this is what I came up with. Some of the values are self explanatory, so I will not include those. Here goes, hope it means something to someone.
1)Injection time – this is the actual time that the injector stays open. Injector always sprays fuel at a set delivery. The only way to vary fuel delivery is to regulate the amount of time the injector stays open. This time value will increase with added throttle input and will decrease at constant throttle position as a cold engine heats up.
2)Lambda control factor – Lambda is the ratio between air and fuel and the control factor is the amount of compensation the ECU is giving to get to the ideal air fuel ratio. Lambda > 1, implies a LEAN mixture and oppositely so, a Lambda < 1, implies a RICH mixture. This value should vary continuously between 0.75 and 1.25 as the ECU compensates. As soon as it stays constant it shows a problem.
3)Lambda sensor heating – For the Lambda sensors to work effectively, they need to be heated to around 316 degrees Celsius.  To achieve this they have internal heating elements that are controlled by the ECU.  Most ECUs show the Lambda Heating state (1=ON and 0=OFF). If this value over time varies between 0 and 1 it indicates that the heating “element” switches on and off, thus it should give accurate readings.
4) Intake air temp sensor – this reading should be close to ambient temp. If bike is allowed to idle in confined space it will however increase, but this will also indicate a correctly functioning sensor.
5)Ignition angle – this is the amount of ignition advance the ECU gives to keep engine running at optimum. When cold engine is started and allowed to idle, this value will increase from about 4,5 until it more or less stabalizes on 15-20 at around 80deg engine temp. While riding this will obviously differ as engine load plays a big role.
6)Knock sensor value – this value is used by the ECU to prevent pinging and could vary between 0 and 350+. The value of both cylinders follows the same trend, so if one is low and the other high on a continuous basis there is likely to be a problem.
7)Ignition dwell time – Dwell time refers to the time the points are closed, thus recharging the coil in conventional ignition systems. In newer CDI systems this term is near meaningless for several reasons. Solid state transistors control the discharge pulses electronically with near instantaneous timing in the nanoseconds.
8)Idle actuator position - Rough idle and poor slow speed running can often be caused by a faulty idle air supply circuit. With the throttle in the closed position, the throttle butterflies are fully closed and air supply to the engine is controlled by the idle actuator. The idle actuator is a valve that progressively opens/closes via a stepper motor, controlled by the ECU. From a cold start, the actuator will be at a high stepper motor setting, and will progressively close as the engine warms up, settling at around 30-45 steps to maintain the specified idle rpm. These stepper motors have NO position feedback i.e. there is no way for the ECU to know exactly where the IA is. The ECU starts off at what it assumes is a known position for the IA and then as it does its work, tells it to move X steps in one direction or Y steps into another. However, as time goes by the IA does not always move the amount of steps it is commanded to move by the ECU (this could be due to filth, friction, reaching the stop etc.) hence, as time goes on, the ECU "thinks" an IA is at a specific position, when in reality it is in a completely different position. In reality the ECU loses synchronization with the stepper(s).
The solution is the Idle Actuator Calibration function on GS911 whereby the ECU is informed of the actual IA position again.