Report: WC: One-nighter: Noob quality, 21,22 Aug 2010

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Camelman

This was originally planned as a total noob/ pillion-friendly ride. At the end of the day there was only one noob and a bunch of friends!

Four of us left Cape Town on Friday. Andy660, AntonW, Robin Brown and I.

PICT0002.jpg

We would camp that evening close to Robertson, where the other three riders, Giraffe, Eish and Crossed-up would meet us the following morning.

When we left Cape Town the weather was fine and the views splended as always as we crossed over the mountains on the Du Toitskloof Pass. Soon after Rawsonville we were on gravel and twisting our way to Robertson.

The campsite at Riverzicht was just what was required. A river, grass, toilet and shower.

PICT0004.jpg

On arrival we put up camp whereafter Andy and Anton went on a provision-run! Ten minutes later Fenderbender pulled up on his HP2 with the coolest sounding exhaust I've ever heard. He had popped in to say howzit, and brought beer!

So a lot of k@k-pratery ensued between him, Robin, and I till the others arrived. Soon after Fenderbender returned to his farm, we made fire and the normal biking camp ritual started. Kuier, braai and stories. I tried out the 1 minute miele-pap as well, with some braai-relish. All of us agreed that this was a winner!

That night the wind decided to do its thing, and at 01:00 in the morning I was awakened by my tent being blown flat on top of me. This would continue the rest of the night with only the sound of the dog coming to find some left-overs and the tiger-like purring of AntonW (according to Andy) joining in.

After a fitful night, we packet up the following morning and headed for the Wimpy in Robertson, where we were met soon after by Crossed-up and Eish. A mega-size coffee and breakfast later we were ready to roll, but AntonW was still missing! Just as we were about to start looking for him, he rocked up. (Only he knows what took him so long)

PICT0005.jpg

Taking the R60 to Montagu via Ashton, where Crossed-up waved at the local speed-trappers, we filled up to the brim as this would be the last available fuel for 249km. Just out of town we turned onto the Langkloof road, then via Oubergpass, Sanbona, Hondewater, and Seweweekspoort, we made our way to Ladismith. The ride was was great and the road in terrific condition. As my mom lives close to Ladismith, I have done these roads plenty of times in the past ten years, but its always a pleasure.

Pit-stop 10 km from Sanbona.
PICT0007.jpg

Sanbona, South Gate
PICT0008.jpg

On the Rooinek Pass outside Lainsburg
PICT0011.jpg

At Ladismith, Anton proceeded to empty the Spar, (thanks Anton) and the soon were off to the DenVlier where we would be camping the night. After putting up camp the same ritual started, and at 21:30 we were all asleep with the only sound the night life and a purring coming from Andy's tent.

DenVlier
PICT0013.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0016.jpg

Mountain-giraffe  ;D
PICT0019.jpg

Eish
PICT0020.jpg

Robin Brown
PICT0021.jpg

AntonW
PICT0022.jpg

Crossed-up
PICT0023.jpg

Sunday morning we were up early. Coffee was made, and the camp dismantled. Giraffe headed home via the R62 as he had to get back to Cape Town in a hurry, and the rest of us took the scenic route back.

PICT0024.jpg

PICT0025.jpg

A late breakfeast in Montagu later, we split up. Eish would be heading back to Cape Town on tar, and Robin would be staying over the night. That left us old friends to take the less traveled route back. As we were nearing Rawsonville, we could see that the weather was nasty, and crossing back over the mountains was a monsoon-style, freezinf expierience, but well worth it, as the rivers were flowing in full force, and everywhere were waterfalls falling hundreds of meters.

The last stop was made at Winelands 1 Stop, where Crossed-up and Andy stopped for hot-chocolate, and Anton and I kept on going.

It was a great ride, with great guys. Thanks to all of you, and a special welcome to Eish on his first multi-day DS ride. Hope we'll see you on more!