Reserves and petcocks and things...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jano

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Excuse my ignorance, but coming from a fuel injected bike, this quite new to me... (in fact, I forgot to open the petcock and wondered why I couldn't start the bike  :imaposer: )

As I understand it, reserve is not a separate fuel tank, but simply a "lower straw" than the main fuel feed. So when the main straw can no longer access any fuel, the bike starts spluttering and you very quickly need to switch the petcock to reserve, accessing the last eighth (or whatever it may be) of the fuel.

Given that the 640 Adv has a low fuel light, and automatically switches to an "F" trip odometer - wouldn't it be simpler just to use reserve all the time, given that reserve can access all the fuel? (unless the tank design is an "upside down Y" where each fuel line draws from a different side)

There are topics on ADVrider about replace the petcock with a T/Y piece - surely this means the carb will flood if the bike stands for a while? Why else does the manual tell you to turn the tap off when parking the bike?