Ride North from Pta Saturday 12 April 2008

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gryshond

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
The day started with an SMS from Cavegirl regarding the big storm. I walked outside into a glorously clear day and informed CG that it was fine in Pta. Of course what I should have done is looked South. Needles to say by 8:00 it had moved in from the South and was coming down in Pta as well. Luckily it cleared up quickly and by 8:45 we were on our way but the turnout was low due to the rain. Cave Girl impressed us with driving through from Kempton in the rain.
We were joined by a new rider who bought Jaghond's 1150GS, he has not joined the forum yet but I suspect after his helmet purchase he may be called Bonthond on the forum.
100_0083.jpg

So Gryshond, Wagter, Cave Girl and "Bonthond" set off into the most beautiful riding weather (cool, clear and with most of the dust damped down).

Here is Wagter flying
WagterFlying.jpg

Bonthond flying
BonthondFlying.jpg

Cave Girl flying past the locals
CavegirlFlying.jpg

We followed a route that took us through the Dinokeng reserve (once they bring the Lions we may stop doing this part of the route), then through Pienaarsrivier, a loop through Mabula area and into Bela Bela. There was a need for a few rest stops along the way.
Resting.jpg

Wagter:"All you need is more throttle"
PitStop.jpg

The Sandmonster only came out to play twice but on the second round it managed to bite Wagter, although he was going very slowly at the time. I had the camera out but I was a bit far away please excuse the quality.
SandMonster1.jpg

SandMonsterStrike.jpg

All in all a very enjoyable ride of aprox 250km to Bela Bela and aprox 160 back. Thanks to the riders who braved the weather to join, and for the ones who get scared by a little rain, see what you miss when you don't take a chance.
Goodlooking.jpg