Ride opinion on 1190 vs 1200

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johang

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
This weekend I was fortunate to be able to ride the whole of Saturday on the new BMW R1200GS and on the Sunday on the new KTM 1190 R.  As part of a group we did a round-about trip with the BMW to Mpumalanga of about 770km, bike odo at 7km when the trip started.  The KTM is my own R that I took delivery of on Friday with 5km on the odo.

The GS and the R are two different bikes and ideally the comparison should be the GS versus the KTM Adventure.  Both of these bikes are impressive with some areas in my opinion that are commendable.  The new BMW is a 1200 with total different power delivery and lots of comfort aspects and electronic stuff.  The KTM is not a 990, it is a totally new and different bike.

Here are some of my observations (personal opinion and thoughts) after riding both bikes.

At a distance the GS tends to be more of a “looker” where the KTM 1190 not that much.  The 990 still draws more stares and pulls your attention.

I did not ride it side-by-side or took detailed notes, just recall from memory after two days.

Electronics
The GS has lots of electronics with lots of buttons.  Like going from an old Nokio to a new Smartphone.  The setting I like the most is the power mode.  It has Dynamics, Enduro pro, enduro, rain and street.  Can be changed while riding, select next one, pull in clutch and close throttle and it changes.  I like the enduro pro.  It switches off traction control and ABS and it remains switched off even if bike is switched off by ignition.  Also remain switched off when riding and changing to other modes.  I do not like the position of the mode switch on the right-hand side as it is difficult to reach whilst riding and will not be easy when on gravel in certain circumstances.

Then there are various other settings and views, multiple of them.

The KTM’s electronics are much less but purpose build like it wants to make people aware of the potential of electronics whilst BMW is already in Version n.  The KTM electronics is functional with the Adventure with load and damping settings.  The changes in bike movement are not as visible as on the GS, the latter lifting up immediately when selecting two-up with a load.  The changes between damping setting on the GS is also more “feelable” than on the Adv.

Mirrors
The GS seems as if it has a greater “blind-spot” than the KTM.

Levers
The KTM’s levers suit me better as it can be much higher whilst allowing the mirrors to be not in the way when standing.

Handle bars
The GS still has the wide handlebars that are set as standard too low backwards.  The KTM handlebars on the R is wider than on the 990 but narrower than the GS.  It is very comfortable and works well for commuting.  The KTM Adv has very narrow handlebars.

Throttle
The GS throttle response is instantaneous in Dynamic and Enduro Pro whilst the KTM is less aggressive in Sport.  The GS throttle seems to affect the right hand as it caused numbness.  Also saw a lot of the members in group taking throttle hands off during ride.

Clutch
The KTM R clutch is super-super soft.  The lever seems to be too long and touches outside of handgaurd although moved further in than the front brake lever.  Risk with standard plastic “wind-guards" if falling over.

Brakes
The integrated front-rear brake on the GS is excellent and instill confidence, but it does not mean to only rely on the front brake alone.  The riders that extends the training wheels when coming to a stop, specifically on unstable surfaces still need to apply good braking techniques as well as those commuting with feet on rear pegs or not covering rear brake in “dangerous” circumstances.

The front brake on the KTM is superb!!

ABS
The KTM as three settings for ABS.  Both wheels ABS, only front wheel ABS and no ABS.  We could not really play with the ABS on the GS due to the nature of the ride.

Indicators
GS moved away from left and right indicator switches.  Both bikes have a limited positive feel to the indicator going from neutral to selected.  GS has self-switching off function.

Screen
GS screen is the easiest to set on the fly with a knob that can be turned.  Whether low or high I still experienced high-levels of wind noise.  I preferred it on about three-quarters up (I am 1,83).  The Adv has good wind protection and the R also less wind noise if I tuck my head a bit.

The KTM has two levers on either side that need to be released and pulled up and down.  At speed this does not work easy.

Dash
GS has old type speed needle indicator.  180km/h at the 12 ‘o clock where 120 used to be, could be very easy to ride 120 most of the time.  KTM has digital, my preference.

Layouts varies a lot and it will be about personal preference.

Acceleration
Both are super-fast and responsive.  The GS accelerates easy to 120 plus a lot of tax added.  Above 100 x 2 the R gets little bit loose on the front whilst the Adv and GS stays stable.

Fuel consumption
Rode R and GS similiarly during run-inn period with varied speeds.  GS around 5.3l/100km and the R the same.  R on the way to work (Pta to JHB) around 4.3l/100km and in town about 4.9l/100km.

On the KTM you reset all of the trip data (Trip 1 or Trip 2).  If you reset the trip data, it takes 10km's before the average fuel consumption is shown.  On the GS its starts immediately.

Vibration
The GS has a fine vibration right through rev range.  The KTM has lots of vibration at 120 & lost of tax.  Both bikes have not had services and tune-in after run in.

The GS has a vibration during deceleration at certain rev range.

Heated grips
GS standard and great now in winter.  KTM to be added as power part.

Tyres
The GS has same tyre sizes as Adv – 19inch front and 170/60*17 rear.  R has 21 and 150/18 rear.

Valves
Both KTM and GS has tubeless.  All three bikes have off-centre valves on rear rim.

Handles
The KTM has funny grab handles at the back (Adv & R).  It catches your leg when climbing on if you are not careful.  Your pillion will require a “narrow” presence when sitting between these two handles.  Having your leg/bum against it would cause discomfort with the amount of vibration transferred.  Will most probably take off as soon as racks are fitted.

Rear footpegs
The angle of the rear footpegs are very high on the KTM and can cause cramping and need the pillion not to wear very tight non stretch pants – hmmm

Cannot say about the GS.

Side stand
The GS has a funny side-stand lever to open side stand just in front of footpeg that catches your foot when working with the gears.  The side-stand can be pushed out far before cutting out the engine.

The KTM side-stand is still fitted against the engine.  Those getting on a bike whilst the bike is one side-stand must change their habits and learn to get on the right way.

Both KTM's are very easy to put on the centre stand.  The Adv side stand is very short, so select carefully where you park.

Fuel filling
The KTM (R) has a small filler whole with a hump directly underneath the opening and spilling by over eager attendant could give you a warm feeling in the groin if you do not get off whilst refilling.

Day riding lights
The GS and the KTM has day driving LED lights.  In rear mirror the GS seems to be more visible than the KTM.  The GS also a multitude of headlights settings and HID which distinguishes the headlights between cars when dark.  Increases safety a lot!

The KTM I will put on high beam when commuting to improve visibility.

Stability
The KTM’s have a steering dampner as standard.  The GS does not instill confidence in me if I ride at 80km/h plus and jerk steering from side to side.  It aggravates the affect effect right through the whole of the bike.  GS did not feel as stable as I would like through corners in mountain passes – but I am no road rider.  

The KTM you have to forcefully jerk from side to side with limited effect.  Both KTM’s felt very stable in corners and instilled confidence with me.  Could be the steering dampner?

This could also be due to riding style and suspension setup.  Some of the other riders did very well in the corners and loved the GS.

Exhaust
The BMW exhaust is better looking than the KTM and more aggressive sound, but I prefer the soft purr of the 1190 as it catches and surprises you before you realise it is behind you :)

Suspension
Suspension on KTM Adv is more stiffer than the R.  The GS suspension is superb.

The R is too soft for off-road and will require revalving and stiffer springs, specially front.  Has not tested on sport setting yet.  Less travel than 990 R but not necessary softer.

Service intervals
GS 10k and KTM’s 15k.

Overall
Two great bikes, time has moved from “nommer asseblef” to smartphones.  Grab the opportunity.

You need to know your bike and your own ability.  Learning and relearning and learning is key with more powerful bikes (these are super bikes) for everyday use and dual purpose riding.  Nothing is the same anymore.  Knowledge and skills are becoming a key and a required aspect of safe riding.

In the end time will tell as aspects such as:
a)  Longevity
b)  Reliability
c)  Maintainability
d)  After sales support
e)  Availability of spares
f)  Running cost

will play a roll.

As the saying goes:
a)  It is not what bike you ride but how you ride the bike you have (horses for courses) - safe riding...