RIDE REPORT Rockrabbits 7 bridges Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianhogg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
RIDE REPORT Rockrabbits 7 bridges Ride

See:  https://www.rockrabbits.co.za/index.php

https://www.facebook.com/victor.randall/videos/10153708823471318/

Sorry this has taken me a while to get together. On the 3rd & 4th of October I went up to Matatiele and Lesotho to see what promised to be an amazing event. It certainly was!

Iain Mcdonald, the man behind Rockrabbits has at his own admission a lot of time on his hands during this drought. Where lots of organizers are out for all the days of the weekend to find riding country Iain has been out every day of the month and it shows!  He had worked out a series of 3 loops which were quite accessible to the road for those who had had enough and gradually more and more challenging for the better riders.  Although it is important to stress that it was a challenge, and not a race, and that EVERY rider who took part did really well, Iain was quite astounded at how fast the leading riders were going. The finish was as as BlueBull2007 said in my previous post – insanely steep. In the picture you can see it is the top of a cliff.  It was a humbling experience as well to see how easy it was for the first rider to get there (Brett Swanepoel,) who hopped up to the top.

It was nice to meet my old mates Stuart Joyner and Lucio Santoro and to be involved in such a well organized event. This is not the end of Rockrabbits. Iain has other events planned and is more than willing to get involved on an individual or small group basis or for anyone who just wants to come up for a ride. Ian

The riders were:

Bruce May
Ricky Cunniffe
Tyler Cunniffe
Sarah Mingay (rode and finished bronze route with Stuart)
Kirsten Mingay (rode and finished bronze route with Stu)
Peter Bartlet (rode and finished bronze route with marshal, Stuart Joyner)
Chris Birkett (was doing really well, but had to retire after CP4 due to altitude sickness)
Brett Swanepoel (finished all 5 bridges of day 1 first in about 4 and a half hours)
Kevin Biljon
Eduan Bester
Oliver Santoro
Lucio Santoro
Faan van Deventer
Riaan van der Walt (finished all 5 bridges of day 1  - 4th)
Hilton van Rooyen
Ryan Pretorius
Bronson Louw (finished all 5 bridges of day 1 – 2nd – took on Bridge 5 without assistance from Chris and Neal, the Rockrabbits guys helping out at this bridge)
Chase Orsmond (finished all 5 bridges of day 1 - 3rd)

Most of the riders finished Bridge 4, and decided that Check Point 5 was a good place to stop.

Attachments

• FinishLastStage.jpg
    FinishLastStage.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 129
  • LookingDownToRiver.jpg
    LookingDownToRiver.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 127
  • SwanepoelComingUp.JPG
    SwanepoelComingUp.JPG
    445.6 KB · Views: 129
  • ChickThing StuartJoynerMingyDaughters.JPG
    ChickThing StuartJoynerMingyDaughters.JPG