RIP - Moondog's F800GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moondog

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Some of you may know that my 2009 yellow F800GS motor hand-grenade itself last week.  It's official - my bike is dead - died of a broken heart!

Looks like a piece broke off the plastic cam chain tensioner, got grinded up and seized the oil pump - so the engine is making very non engine like clattering sounds and the oil is heavy with iron filings.
Six years old (this month) and with 95 000kms on the bike, it's not worth fixing and selling (which was what I was planning to do very soon) as I definitely won't get the cost of the repair back.

I was on the way to work last Thursday - in the last few days the bike wasn't as perky as it usually was but on the fateful day it really started misbehaving - actually feeling like the will known fuelling (fuel pump) issue. Anyway as I got to work it died at our booms - restarted and died. After that it started and ran but the oil light was on at idle speeds. Any revs over 3500 resulted in the heart rending clatter that spells serious problems.

So I'm in the market for a new baby and Maya (as she has always been affectionately referred to by my daughter) will be stripped and sold for parts. Sad day, but new beginnings for 2015!