RR Prinsloo's Kloof 15-01-2011 A Newby's view

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleAl

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
Good day to all.

Leftless, I am not trying to highjack your RR-thread, but would like to add this RR as experienced by a first timer.
Hopefully this will give more guys out there with DS bikes the courage to join a ride.

Although I was lurking the forum for nearly a year, I only registered recently after acquiring a TA.
After meeting Watty I decided to join the ride to Prinsloo’s Kloof as it wasn’t too far from home and the roads seemed to be acceptable by rooky standards, thus a confidence builder and to get acquainted with the bike. It was going to be a learning curve as I always pack too much and space/weight on the bike is a limiting factor.

I don’t know whether it was the thought of meeting Mr Prinsloo or the first ride on the TA, but by 06:00 on Saturday morning, 15 January 2011, I was packed and ready to go although my rendezvous with Watty was only scheduled for 09:00. 
At nine, Witty and myself left from the Total garage on the car of Buffelsfontein/William Moffet Expressway in P.E.
Out of town we stayed on the N2 for the first few km. At the turn off to the old Van Stadens Pass, Watty  pulled  onto the side of the road to discuss the route he planned to take.  This gave me a chance to check the luggage-straps and wet my extremely dry mouth!

The ride through the Old Van Stadens Pass, crossing the Gamtoos river over the original single lane bridge, helped to calm the nerves.
At the turn-off to Jeffery’s Bay we made a right turn and after a few km’s we had our second stop – this is where the DIRT started.

What the f&%$ was lying ahead? Am I going to slip and slide? Are there marbles in the road? River crossings? Will I be able to keep up to Watty’s pace? Fortunately for me Watty is an excellent anticipator and being on a 250, he stuck to a VERY moderate pace, giving me time to build confidence. Thanks Watty ! !  Thank you to Mr Honda for building such a unique and forgiving bike. Within a few km’s, I actually had the courage to hang back a bit and then gun it to catch up with Watty.

The right turn took us onto the Bo-Plaas road. This road breaks away from the N2 cutting across towards the R62 Langkloof Road, criss crossing parallel to the R62 towards Assegaaibos, our rendezvous at 15:00 with the WD’s from the Western- and Eastern Cape.

We had another stop at one of the many T-junctions we encountered, stretching legs and to admire some of the scenery.

It seems that more people knew about our ride! A friendly Local Government Employee  must have read about my Newby Ride  and decided to smooth out my ride. Thanks dude!!

At 13:00 we arrived at Kareedouw and decided to have a bite at The Bistro to kill time till time. What a pleasant, biker friendly venue.(Hooks for jackets etc.)  After phoning one of the WD

By 14:25 we were back at the Assegaaibos Hotel, +2km  outside of Kareedouw, and waiting for the other Dogs.
At this stage I started feeling like a WD, but the uncertainty still remained because what must I expect from a bunch of bikers mad enough to travel 700km plus for a one night outing! At least I expected them to arrive timeous, especially as it was foreign territory for most.

14:45  I had all my doubts about these characters. Where were they?
14:50  Had a leak and were patrolling the tree and my bike for the up-teen time? Did they get lost?
14: 55  It must be a m@#%se truck coming down the road making such noise!!
            Down the access road to the Hotel rolled some of the noisiest bikes(A fugly Harley) and biggest blokes (a guy wrapping up an Alp) that I have encountered so far.
I only now realize that you greet fellow bikers by twisting your right hand once or twice vigorously – NO, it is to clear the plug from grime before switching off the bike. (A 2-stroke action! Ha-Ha)
It must have been nerves or the uncertainty that made these thoughts rush trough the grey matter.

Biking is hard work, therefore after introducing themselves to me with a handshake and a name mentioned, everyone settled down in the Sports Bar to quench the thirst.

This gave me time to mingle with the guys and to try and put a name to a face. (Fruitless attempt!)

At this stage the following WD were in the group en route to Prinsloo’s Kloof:
1. Leftless
2. Horsepower
3. Trailrider
4. Watty
5. UncleAl
6. Trailrider
7. LGF
8. ChrisL
9. Terror SA
10.  DR Dirt
11.  GRyPH
12. DirtCopper
13.  McSpanner
14. Crab
15. Rooipoot
16. Drazil
17. Miss Drazil

It is here where the owner of the Hotel, as well as the farm in witch Prinsloo’s kloof is situated, met us. Two bakkies were to lead the way for the +35km to our accommodation, with a stop en route where we would be briefed further ….

To be continued …..