RSA, Botswana, Zambia & Zim.....???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
I'm planning a trip to Vic Falls for March/April 2011, and want to do the round route from Martin's Drift to Kasane, to Vic Falls. From there I have 2 options, either to Zambia and travel by road via Kalomo, Choma to Kariba, or travel through Zim from the Falls to Mlibizi, grab the ferry there to Kariba (although this is the expensive route- USD100 per person and USD95 per bike as per internet). The ferry seems an experience, but at a cost.

Then from Kariba through the Charara Safari Area if we can??? to Chinhoyi. Next Chegutu, Gweru, the Wulfshall Pass to Zvishavane.  From there a gravel route??? toWest Nicholson, back to Beit Bridge.

Any suggestions for alternative routes and camping places will be appreciated.  As this will be our first overland trip, we do not know all the pitfalls of such a trip.  We want to camp to save costs, but inexpensive overnite places will be considered.

Any info on the route will also be appreciated, especially the ferry service over the Kariba.  Fuel availability is also a consideration, as the towns are not to far for the AT's reach, but we don't know whether there will be fuel or not.  Will extra fuel have to be carried with, etc.  Info on places that are worth visiting will also do.

I know you all are preparing for New Years day, but if you have time, please reply as we have to know what we are lookoing at.

Happy New Year to every WD and family.  May 2011 be the best year of our lives and may we be blessed to live as if the day is our last.  Remember: Life is a gift, that is why today is the "present". ;D

Cheers, Duster and Marietjie :ricky: