rubber cement - for patching tubes - where do you buy it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quastdog

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I'm a resident of the U.S., traveling the world on the Beemer. Currently I'm in the Sandton area of Jo'burg (just off the N3). Checking my patching supplies, my couple tubes of never opened rubber cement has 'dried' (all the solvent has evaporated from the tubes). Before heading north from SA up through east Africa, I need to replace these.

I've spent hours/lots of gas driving around trying to find a few new tubes of the stuff - small enough for carrying on the bike (I carry tire levers, tools, and a handpump on the bike at all times). I've been to hardware stores, motorcycle shops, bicycle shops, auto supply places. Most places want to sell me a 'patch kit' - one small tube of glue, a few patches, sand paper/scraper etc. - but I have plenty of patches and scuffers. I just need the cement - and several tubes at that, since once you open a small tube, its basically dead the next time you need it.

Where the heck do you buy small tubes of rubber cement?