Running with the BIG DOGS - Scorpion Rally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uiltjie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
H2O, Kat and myself left Caledon Friday 25-5 at about 7:30 for Beaufort West and the first Scorpion rally, organised for DS bikes. Route was planned and we were to meet friends in Montagu for a brekkie. As we rode into Montagu, they arrived. I'll just use their first names, as they are not all WD's.

We were the following: Myself (Varadero) H2O (Varadero) Kat (KTM990) Chris (KTM 950) Dave (KTM 950 S) Lenro (Yamaha Super Tenere 750).

image3.JPG

Left after a lekka breakfast

image4.JPG

We headed up the Oubergpas towards Ladismith

image22.JPG

image27.JPG

Check out my so-called "roadbike"

image31.JPG

stopped for a piepie break

image5.JPG

Kat making sure his goggles are dust-proof

image8.JPG

and rounding a corner with a friendly wave

image66.JPG

Dave flying around a corner with lovely pllion Annelise

image44.JPG

Chris' mean machine taking a breather

image9.JPG

Kat hitting the water at high speed

image18.JPG

After coffee in Ladismith, we headed to Calitzdorp via Pashuispas. In Calitzdorp the experienced Dave took a turn-off on one of the most beautiful 2-spoor paadjie I have been on. We stopped at this old farmstead.

image94.JPG

image103.JPG

From Oudtshoorn we went through Meiringspoort.

image107.JPG

We planned to go via Rietbron to B/West, but the sun was setting fast and we did a tar low flying shift to B/West. We got there at 6:30 and registered. It was damn cold, and not much happening at the rally, so we headed for a warm pub with Jagermeister and Captain Morgan! What a pity only about 200 bikes rocked up for the Rally, which was well organised with 3 trips organised for Saturday morning, 2 DS and 1 road trip.

Saturday morning (after not much sleep) we headed for Matjiesfontein via Merweville.

Here we crossed the Fraserburg road.

image109.JPG

In Merweville we had to fetch some very interesting people to man the petrol pump and fill the bikes!

image110.JPG

Any relation to Eugene Terreblanche?

image113.JPG

So we made it just in time for the rugby in Matjiesfontein. We were welcomed by old friends Katoom (on his brother's V-strom 650), his dad Joe (Transalp), his brother Charl (Africa Twin), Heinie "180km/h-around-a-dirt-road-corner" (Ktm 990), Jannie (1200GS) and Barry (KTM 950 S)

The Lord Milner at night

image114.JPG

Inside the party went on!

image121.JPG

Katoom and Kat doing the quick-step!

image116.JPG

Sunday morning we headed back north to do the Seweweekspoort

image128.JPG

This is what a Vara should look like, roadbike se gat man!

image127.JPG

Kat's machine

image130.JPG

and screaming up the hill just before the poort

image154.JPG

Vara waiting patiently for the next rider

image145.JPG

Heinie doing the BMW tango...

image162.JPG

and finally, going through the majestic Seweweekspoort........aaaahhh, what a sight!

image195.JPG

image198.JPG

image239.JPG

we stopped often just to take in the splendour.....

image175.JPG

image249.JPG

As Heinie "180" rightfully commented: "Die Here was groot hier!"

image246.JPG

The Seweweekspoorters: Myself, Heinie "180", H2O, Chris, Kat and Charl. And of course the beast patiently waiting on the left.....

image181.JPG

From there, it was back to Barrydale Pumpkin for lunch, Swellendam via Tradouws Pass, and low-level flying dirt riding all the way back to Caledon.

Stats about the trip

image250.JPG

As you can see, I ran with the big dogs this weekend, the big bikes, the highly experienced and the "180km/h gravel corners" from a man who reckons he is the only person who can take a KTM to legend status, after swapping his legendary AT for the Katoom! But the Vara kept up, and did well.

Great to have travelled with such a great bunch of guys, will do it again soon!

Uil out!