Sani first ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strompie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
It's just one of those bucket list things. I always wanted to tour South Africa on a bike, and last year I got the opportunity. Because of a previous nasty off, the missus was not too keen on me buying another bike so I told her that I would rent a bike for the period. She then countered with "Why don't you buy a bike, tour and sell it on?" Even if I lose money on the deal, it will still be cheaper than renting. So I bought a delightful V-Strom, went on my tour and reluctantly, sold it again. Well two weeks ago the owner phoned me and said he was selling again, and gave me first option. I jumped at the opportunity, so Strompie and I are reunited once more, and now we need to ride !

So back to the bucket list :

Sani Pass. I hear a lot of differing versions of the condition of Sani. Some say you need a pukka 4x4, and others go up there with Honda mopeds. So my question is this : Would you tackle Sani first, or would you suggest I take in a few other routes first, before tackling Sani ? I will obviously wait till it warms up a bit, but it's definitely on my list to do.