Saw a nasty accident this morning....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big H

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
On my way to work on the N1 South this morning I was passed by a guy on a R1200GS just before the Rivonia offramp.

He waved as he passed me, and then moved to the left lane of the highway to take the Rivonia offramp. Just before the offramp he made a quick move to pass the van in front of him on the left hand side, only to realize that the lane was closed there! He rode through those upright yellow/black signs and then hit a cement barrier full on! It was terrifying to watch this happen more or less in front of me.

I really hope he is okay. He was lying in a heap next to the cement barrier when I passed him.

I couldn't stop until after I passed the offramp and the bridge, and since there were a lot of cars that stopped to assist already I rode on.

:(

On a related point, it got me thinking... even if I was able to stop to assist him, I wouldn't know what to do exactly because I do not know much about first aid. When we go on these adventures on our bikes into the middle of nowhere, shouldn't least one of us know fist aid?