Semonkong -> Patlong / Sekake / A4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDR

Grey Hound
Administrator
Reaction score
By the following RRs, the road South from Semonkong back to the tarred A4 looks almost impassable for a loaded big bike:

Lesotho again!

pic2.jpg

Plothond's epic ride

Day2016.jpg

However, by the following I get the idea that the road might have been upgraded, that there are bridges over the rivers, and that there might not be much to it anymore...

greatdane said:
So I am now in Swaziland. No pics available as of now since my camera decided that it will not work and I am using my digital video camera and will have to pull snap shots from short videos.

Went PE - Graaff Reinert - Burgersdorp - Tiffendell - Rhodes, Naude's Nek - Lundean Nek - Steikspruit - Tell Bridge Borderpost Lesotho - Malealea Lodge - Roma - Semonkong - Quasha's Nek - Underberg - Vryheid - Manzini

The main lesson learned by now:

1. The back road from Malealea Lodge says offroad and difficult in Tracks4Africa. They are not joking! I went through on a Yamaha XT660 and it took some work

2. The southern route from Semonkong to the tar road between Padlong and Mount Morosi is open. There are bridges across both the Sequin and Sequinyane.  Again bloody steep. Took 2.5 hours on the motorcycle for 50 km and 4 hours for the guys in 4x4. Once you get to the bridge its clear sailing

Michiel said:
The Donkey Route? Are you referring to this one?

f03.jpg

This route used to be rather difficult. I was keen to go check it out but unfortunately the Chinese beat us to it.
I believe the built a bridge over the Senqu River and fixed up the road. Hopefully I'm wrong. Please let us know
what it's like when you come back.

I'm looking on going that way on the way back from the bash in September - assume there won't be much rain (or mud) and that the rivers will be relatively low.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!