Shouty pipes or quiet ones?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macburn

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
The AIRAGE pipe on my KLR is all well and good. I love the bark and the growl in the driveway, but I’m not sure the neighbours do. My ideal ride is a solo trip enjoying the sights and sounds away from the noise and people and I am not all that fond of the roar behind my right ear. I don’t really care if my bike twitters to the tune of Greensleaves, I just don’t want to be the inconsiderate doos in the neighbourhood or on the outride.

As a mechanical dunce I am willing to believe that the right aftermarket pipe can add to your bikes performance, but I don’t understand the mechanism behind. But that’s fine. So these are my questions:

1) What is the etiquette with loud pipes? If I want to ride through a game reserve or a conservancy is not polite to do it is as unobtrusively as possible? Are quieter pipes not better in this situation?
2) Is there an aftermarket exhaust that improves performance without the increase in decibels?

I acknowledge that loud pipes may be a good safety feature, so no comment is required on this subject.