Size/cross section versus speed perception

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunsports

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
New to biking and all that (after a 30 year layoff) and VERY conscious of cage traffic that have this habit of turning in in front of you; I've been making some observations:

When I am waiting (in a cage) to turn into a traffic lane; it seems far easier to judge the approach speed of the oncoming vehicle viz a viz a cyclist or motor cyclist. Here I am not referring to the cycle/bike's visibility, but its approach speed.

Discussing this with a friend who is a motor cycle instructor, he claims this is due to the cycle/bike's smaller cross section, which makes judging approach speed more difficult.

So, I made some more observations: When a m.cycle is fitted with a triangle of front lights (the driving lights at the edge of the bikes width), I seem to be ablte to better judge the bikes speed; not as well as for a motor vehicle, but better.

My m.cycle friend; who also happens to be a divisional traffic inspector; says that; in interviews with motorists involved with m.cycle accidents; where the motorist turned into a lane and was hit by an approaching m.cyclist, most said; those that were honest about it; that they did not realise the bike was going that fast and thought it was further away.

Basis of truth in this?