Smiling in the Wind - Building a sidecar rig in your lounge!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigged4Life

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi all,

A lot of questions received about the sidecar I fitted on my 1150 GSA... I bought mine in kit form and without a garage I put it together in my lounge and driveway. Because the vast majority of sidecars are built for right hand drive countries ie: The sidecar is fitted to the right hand side of the bike... the manual they sent me was for the same, I even used to look at the manual photos in a mirror sometimes to see how it would look for my installation!

Below are just a few pics of the process, it took me 1 week to build and 1 month to perfect it to what I wanted it to look like for the offroad conditions I was planning to take it through, two of the most notable modifications were a 6mm steel plate I fitted under the sidecar body for extra strength and protection for Tau, also for her being such a big dog (55kg) and getting on in age, I decided to cut the body in half and hinge it in the front for easy access.

Yesterday I gave my rig his name... Rafiki... it means friend in Swahili and this is what it has very much become to me and Tau.

You can check out our blog and journal at www.smilinginthewind.com

Cheers from the road

Keith & Tau

Attachments

• DSCN1071.JPG
    DSCN1071.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCN1080.JPG
    DSCN1080.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 403
  • DSCN1113.JPG
    DSCN1113.JPG