So I lost my chain this morning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mav

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Last night I packed my bike for the weekend.

Wake up this morning at 4:45, got dressed left for work as I usually do.  Was traveling along working out where I have to fill up with petrol and how many km I have left if I get 24 km/l  and the light came on at 285km and I left home with 297 km on the clock, when I hear this funny metal sound and lose all power in the bike.

Pull into the yellow lane, yip just as I thought, the chain.

So I phone the wife. Lucky my friend's trailer was still at my house. (thnx Stu)

I was inbetween Everton and Soweto. So I did not want to leave the fully loaded bike and walk back to find the chain.

I told my wife that the chain broke and that I am 35 km from home and that she should look for the chain in the middle of the road from about 30km from home.

In the mean while a guy from Eskom stopped to help me, we started chatting about everything and anything. Half an hour or so later , wife pitches up, luckily it is her day off.  Now just remember she had to hitch the trailer, get the baby and all the bottles and nappies and everything, get dressed as she was still sleeping.

She found the chain aswell.

The guy from eskom help me to get the bike on the trailer, it is a little bit difficult if you dont have a chain. Thnx Christie.

So off we went to fix the chain. So we get to the first bike shop. I asked them for the chain link that you have to punch or rivit. I dont want to lose a chain again. They have it. R40. Ah not to bad lets do it ok, how much for fitting. no sir, we are not qualified to do it, our other branch does chain fitting, we do tyre fitment only.

But it is moer in gone. ok where can I do it nearby.

I bought the wife a bike jacket to say thank you and sommer as a mothersday present aswell. Aint I clever. Now if we have a baby sitter, she can come with.

So I phone bike shop 2 to make sure that they have the tools and skills to do the job. Yes sir R85. ok cool I can live with R85.

On my way to shop 2, I stop at shop nr 3. Can you do the job? It takes the guy 30 seconds to answer that question, after 30 seconds he says yes. I ask him if he is sure, becuase he hesitated. Yes he is sure. R50

At this stage I am not so sure if he could do it, and decides to continue to shop 2.

Arriving at shop 2, sir becuase the chain is not on the bike, were going to charge you R171, because it is more labour than we thought. Well I am not going back to shop nr 3, aaahhhh just shut up and pay R171.

So while waiting at shop nr 2, I decide to call the guy that fitted my new chain and sprocket 2 weeks ago, and ask him why did they not rivit the chain as I asked him 3 times. No sir we did rivit it, I did it myself, because I rememberd you asking us 3 times. Did the chain brake.

No the link is out, it is not broken.

Well it is the first time I hear of a link falling out when it was rivited.

Its my first time aswell.

So I Lost my chain this morning.

;D