so what makes a bike friendly resort...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tifua

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So this is the scenario.... my dad has a beautiful piece of land in the Okavango delta. Its located in Shakawe (look here https://www.google.com/maps/place/Shakawe,+Botswana/@-18.359086,21.798002,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x1bfcd610ff8248a3:0x9206f381383558a1) and see what a great location....right next to Namibia border where you turn left for Etosha or right for Caprivi. Overlooks a lagoon 30m from the Okavango river. Shade all over with beautiful trees and plants and space to relax. One of the most beautiful pieces of land in the whole delta. Its his private retreat for family that he is slowly developing it a bit more and has looked at the option of making a part of it commercial. Ok so here is the basics of what it has:

- 14 foot boat with motor, jetty, lagoon and 30 m channel to main Okavango river
- tar road all the way to it except last 3km of mild sand roads
- electricity, within cell range and internet via dongle
- dining hall, kitchen, fridges, hot water showers and bath and basic workshop with tools
- nice lawn, large tents, clean safe with water on 3 sides
- 7 min drive from the town of Shakawe; 5 hours tar road to Maun

I have suggested to him that with the rise in adventure bike riding, the ideal location, the access to fishing and river, it would make a great camping / rest area for bikers going to or from Namibia. I told him if he invested a bit to make it a bit more bike friendly it could attract good groups and keep the place alive with people and traffic. He asked what I thought adventure riders would need and appreciate and I suggested the following:

- pool to swim in (swamps is there but so are very big crocs)
- bar with cold beers and drinks, nice lapa area with fire and chairs to chill and watch sunset over the Okvango
- nice concrete area for washing bikes
- workshop with tools for welding, bending, grinding, compressor, etc for basic repairs and parts
- ability for groups to ship up parts, filters, tires etc to be kept securely until they come through and then ability to and tools to fit them
- safe and secure for bikes
- good area for setting up tents for those that prefer their own tents
- places to wash clothes and riding gear
- Internet access as in wifi or similar (I saw they are laying FO cables to the town of Shakawe from Maun so I think better internet it coming but a basic wifi option even if only in the dining area
- place to charge cameras, phones, cook food or have food cooked

What else would be useful and easy to setup that guys like you on long trips would appreciate to find in a half waypoint? I will update this thread with some pictures of the camp. Appreciate any suggestions. I will be taking a ride up there in a few months to have a good look and see what options there are