So you think you know something about auto electrics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metaljockey

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
Iv'e been stumped by my wife's scooter.

It misfires intermittently. Mostly when under hard acceleration.

I checked and replaced plug and plug cap for a start but it had no effect. I also took it to a bike shop to no avail. The one thing that the bike shop was able to help with, is to identify that the problem only happens when the lights are switched on.

I checked the connections in the switch and all looks fine. I had an auto electrician check the lighting wires and was told that it is not grounding anywhere.

Because it only misfires when the lights are on, I suspected that it may be the regulator that is faulty. I measured the voltage drop over the battery's poles and it is 14.6V unloaded and 14.2V with the lights on. That is a .4V drop. I then asked the dealers to check a similar bike and they reported 14.4 and 14.2. Less of a drop but still a load reading of 14.2V, same as mine.

What I know about electronics is just about nothing. So, my question to the electronically advantaged amongst us; would it serve any purpose to replace the regulator? Where else can I look for a solution to this problem?