Speed Queen Racing Academy - Feedback

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefanlsd

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi,

My girlfriend recently attended the beginner training course offered by Speed Queen (https://www.sqracing.co.za/).  We had looked at a few options and narrowed it down to BMW and Speed Queen. She chose Speed Queen as it was run by girls, and being a girl and never having ridden, she thought it may be a more comfortable learning environment.

The cost of the course was R1500.00. This included lunch and a bike and gear (for the day).  She had her own helmet and jacket.  For some reason, i and her were convinced this was a two day course, and although it doesn't specify, i assumed for the cost it was, and I know the BMW course costs less (approx 1300) for 2 full days.

I was really surprised when she returned from day 1, saying it was over. Admittedly they dont say anywhere its a 2 day course, we really just assumed based on competitors and price. 

She enjoyed the day learning and due to SQ having trainee instructors, she had almost 1 on 1 personal training. I asked what theory was covered and she said none - as in sit down, look at a presentation. I asked her about riding on the road, where should she ride, following distance etc and none of that was covered.

I feel slightly ripped off by this experience. I think R1500.00 is a lot for a 1 day course, and i feel that there could def. be more theory and knowledge imparted for practical road use.

I have done the BMW refresher course which is the 2nd day of the BMW beginner course. On this day we had presentations and videos safety etc. Things I would of expected her to learn. She will now be doing the BMW course as I and her feel that she has a lot still to learn. 

Due to the above experience I would not recommend Speed Queen for new beginner training.

Stefan