• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Spot Lights Controller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebrindley

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased some 30W LED spotlights from Extreme Lights... These ones (https://www.extremelights.co.za/shop/new-spot-3600-lumen-4-x-xm-l2-led/.
My intention was to run them as daytime running lights and also have them as spots at night. They turned out far too bright to run all the time as they where blinding the on coming traffic.
I set about building a little controller to have them dim during the day, but bright when I needed them on full blast.

I now have a controller that I have linked to the useless flash headlights button on the handlebars that all bikes come with but nobody ever uses.
It works likes this -
I have connected an ignition wire to a relay which provides 12v straight from the battery to the controller so that we have enough amps to feed the lights.
* When you put ignition on, the controller comes on and powers the lights at 50% brightness (settable by the user by holding the control button down - which changes the dim setting and remembers it for the next power cycle).
* If you click the button once - it will cycle the lights on and off in dim mode. (it will also remember if the lights where on or off when you switch off the bike, so if you don't want the lights on when you start up, then you simply turn them off before you shut down.)
* If you click the button twice (double click), the lights go full bright. A single click will put them back in dim mode again.
* If you triple click the lights act as hazards (I can also make this mode a strobe mode if required - but I am pretty sure this wouldn't be legal.)
* From any mode -
- A single click is dim mode - if already in this mode a single click will turn the lights off.
- A double click will put in full brights - a double click again while in this mode will turn the lights off.
- A triple click will put in hazard flashing mode - and again another triple click will turn the lights off or any other click to change the modes as above.

This has been working on my bike now for about 3 months without any issues and it works like a charm.
I have a few components left to make up a few more controllers should anyone be interested.
I will provide the controller with a wiring harness and a connection diagram - You will need to provide your own lights (LED ONLY because of the power draw). You will also need a push button switch (Non Latching) like the flash button on the bike or the horn button. And you will need a 12V relay from an auto spares shop rated to at least 10 Amps. I am not responsible for you melting your wiring harness should you wire it up incorrectly!!!

All that being said - The cost would be R1500 for the unit.
Payment will need to be up front before I build it - it will take 3 to 4 weeks for delivery from date of payment. I will post it counter to counter but if you are in JHB you can collect from me in fourways once it is ready.
Anyone in JHB that wants to see it working is welcome to contact me and you can come and see it on my bike.

Anyone interested?

Dave.