SR500 - Cafe Racer Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blauth

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Ok, so since I like tinkering on things and I have to find an alternative to my compulsive obsessive buying and selling of motorcycles to appease my curiousity, I have decided on a build.

I have had my eye on a cafe racer project for some time and the BMW R series was probably top of my list as donor bikes (I see there is another cool build project on wilddog for a BMW cafe). One little drawback is that Rockerfella is not my old man.

This is gonna be a budget build but lets see how it goes. I sometimes get a little carried away when I see something I like. The thought process kind of goes like this......Hmmmm, that's cool. Ouch, I can't afford that, I still need to buy groceries. Aaaaaah, fuck it, I will eat next month... :D

So many internet hours went into finding a suitable donor. The obvious contenders were Suzuki GS400/450, Yamaha XS400, XS650, SR500, Honda CB450, CB550, Kawasaki W650, BMW R(all). CX500 may have been a contender but my mate PistonSlap is doing that so we can't be plagorising his ideas now, can we. Surprisingly, there is not much out there worth looking at. I looked at a couple of bikes, most of which have no papers and are pretty good for, umm, for........scrap metal.

I eventually came across a 1983 Yamaha SR500 for R5000.00. The bike isn't running but according to the owner, he has had it for 21 years. That's a pretty good sign and considering it's 28 years old, it's in pretty good nick. The only problem (allegedly) is the carb. His mechanic took his carb to sort something out and then got addicted to drugs and then gave him back an XT500 carb......blah blah blah. Whatever dude!!!

Anyway, I am buying what I see and the papers are in order so, it's a deal then. It's got 56000km on the odo and still has excellent compression. So without further ado, here is what I bought:

IMG_0310_Compressed.jpg

Have you ever seen a headlight this size on a bike?
IMG_0311_Compressed.jpg