STANDING POSITION AND GRIPPING THE HANDLE BARS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Despite many discussions, Youtubing and introductory training I still struggle to settle into my "individualized' standing position. I do not find the standing with straight legs and dropped heels while pinching the seat area comfortable (this is so popular in the world of instruction). Bear in mind that I am not short so I have the feeling of "flip falling over my handle bar" in the aforesaid position. Also I am a real skinny oke (meaning one of those who are "drie kakke voor & 2 etes agter" kind-a skinny). So when you talk knobbies I always clarify....... do you mean tyres or my knees. It also means that pinching the narrow front area of the seat gets me into "knock knee spasm" quickly. Currently I find a crouching position with my knobbie knees pinching the mid-center tank area the best. Though fatique kicks in quickly, I actually engage with much body "counter movements" on dirt road. It also means that my less elegant body posture with "dancing" the bike requires firmer grip and deliberate input to my handle bars. I do not have a death grip but sure eggs won't survive. There is this theory of holding onto the handle bars as if you are holding eggs or your fantacy lover's hand. OMG!!!! I just do not get to the "look mommy, no hands" ideal as per text books.

In fairness to all, on a flat and well kept gravel road I can stand up straight from my pegs and relax while just "finger tipping" the handle bar. I can even wave a "hi---good day to locals". However, that is cruising laid-back, not riding the rain damaged dirt roads of the late 2020+

If this topic is of interest please let the discussion flow. I'll try to define what works for me from your opinions and perhaps other can do the same.

Greetings