Steering head bearing replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Anybody with experience on replacing a steering head bearing on a 1200GS? A few questions:

When I stand on the bike and push down on one handle bar while pulling up on the other, I hear (and feel) a distinct "click". Reversing direction will then cause the same click. I've been told that the steering head bearing is moving in the yoke, and although the bearing itself is likely to still be fine, it needs to be fixed in the yoke with a shaft lock or similar agent. (I did check the torque and it is at least up the specified 130 Nm). Anybody with similar experience? What locking agent should be used?

Secondly, if I want to replace the bearing while I'm at it, could anyone source a reputable 3rd party bearing? The installed one has three numbers: 3204_2RS, INA_45, and V_02_11. My local bearing agent tells me that the exact bearing is for "agents only" (presumably BMW agents) and he is not allowed to supply me with one. I can get one without the V-02_11 number though (same basic dimensions, but I don't know about material, heat treatment etc). Does anyone know what the V 02 11 means? Depending on manufacturer these sell for R130 to R260, while the real thing at BMW is R750.