STUCK REAR SHOCK REBOUND - KTM 990 ADVENTURE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanDoyle

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
I bought a second hand KTM 990 Adventure and found while resetting all the suspension setting to "Comfort" that the back shock rebound adjuster was siezed solid. So I decided to attempt to get it loose as a Shock repair would be very expensive here in South Africa. I tried to release the adjuster and BROKE the top of the adjuster screw in half!!! These screws are very SOFT and break easily!!!

(use the large Allen Key in the tool kit) I removed the rear shock from the frame by removing the rear wheel and then the mud flap to give enough space to get the shock to clear. The bottom bolt is behind the rubber grommet on LH side of swingarm. NB NB. DO NOT DROP THE BOLT INTO THE SWINGARM. USE PRESSTICK ON THE END OF THE ALLEN KEY AND BE CAREFUL!!! You also need to take the screws and bolt out of the LH side cover to get to the top bolt on the shock. I found that the shock comes out easily if you flip the spring adjuster out then it clears easily.

With the Shock out and on the bench I carefully removed the Aluminium retainer for the rebound adjuster. It uses a number 15mm open end spanner. Then I rinsed the adjuster out a few times with WD40 and compressed air. The cause of the siezed adjuster was evident. The 'O' ring on the adjuster screw had fine cracks in it and had allowed water in causing it to rust and sieze up.

I then got the shock level, with the adjuster pointing upwards and filled it up with WD40. Took a heat gun and carefully warmed the housing up until I could see bubbles appearing in the WD40. (About 100 degrees Celsius) Left it to cool off on its own. I then took a 5.5mm socket and gently tapped it onto the half screw head and started to gently turn left and right until I saw it was starting to move. Just kept on for a few minutes and it came completely loose. Rinsed it out a few more times and blew out with compressed air. Set the correct rebound that I needed and added Yamaha waterproof grease and closed it up with a new 'O' ring in place. It works perfectly again.

Assembly, on swingarm shock mounting you need to press the bush back about 0.5mm so that you dont battle to fit the Shock cos its too tight. Grease up the 2 bolts with waterproof grease and assemble. Make sure the 2 botls are TIGHT!

Replace the mud flap and the rear wheel and you are done.