Sutherland Adventure Weekend with Tigerman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freerad

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Went on an "interesting" ride with Tigerman (aka Gareth), here is my report from FB:

Was good to see Rudolf again, good soul that one. We arrived late afternoon on Friday, chilled out and had a braai. The only real excitement on the way up was a quickly fixed flat on Gareth's bike. Up early on Saturday and Rudolf took us on a 40 plus K ride around his and his neighbours farms. Longer route than before, some nice slightly more technical bits like steep rocky accents and decent. Antonio did very well considering it was his first off road riding.

That afternoon we were supposed to go for a ride on Haness's farm but cancelled, we where a bit tired already. Instead Rudolf took us for a swim at his big damn, "just behind his house". He pitched up in shorts, slops and cap with his younger son Peter, barefoot in shorts riding a vuka scooter to take us there. Seeing that, all of us except Antonio went in our cozzies. Turned out to be some of the most technical riding of the trip! Gareth's bike took a little nap and Antonio drove into a tree while trying to get through a sandy bit! Lake had a lot of green slime but there was one spot with deep water next to some rocks that was nice to swim in. Antonio was glad he had all his gear on on the way back as he had a little off on the way back going up a steep slope with loose rocks. First prize of the day goes to Peter for his excellent handling of a vuka in technical terrain.

We woke up early on Sunday with a plan to bride home via oueberg pas and the Tankwa Karoo, started off OK, Antonio seemed a little intimidated at the top of the pass but got into the groove. It was more technical than expected in places, very rocky and washed out on a few steep sections. I got a flat in my front tire about half way down but just rode it out as I was going slowly with Antonio at the back.

At the bottom Gareth and I fixed my flat while Antonio waited ahead, guick fix, under 20 minuted I reckon but it was hot and there was no shade. Got going again, but then shortly afterwards Antonio had a wipe at about 70 in a river bed that proved to be a real mess of sand banks. He suffered a dislocated shoulder so we made a plan to lift him and his kit on the two remaining bikes back to civilisation. 150 km later we got some help at the Tankwa Farm stall. Some folk there kindly took him on to a hospital in Ceres and Gareth and I hatched a plan to go recover his bike. We bought 20 litres of fuel off a nice local and then I lifted Gareth back with a bunch of tools. We manged to fix the bike enough to ride it back. Man it was hot though, and we ended up working in jocks, really glad no locals chanced apon us. It would not have looked good....

Back through the Karoo for the third time! Picked up Gareth's bike got a cup of coffee from the friendly and slightly eccentric farm stall people and headed on into Ceres. Then Gareth starts running out of gas of course, 60 km out side of Ceres.... Managed to nurse it over the pass and basically freewheel into Ceres....

www.facebook.com/events/295352377234050/