Swaziland - fully charged!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnus

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Swaziland - fully charged!

Last year December a couple of pelle went to Swaziland and I was regretting every moment of not being able to go along.  The baby wasn't even 6 months old and mommy wasn't in a mood to negotiate.  Four months make a lot of difference, so when Deon made the slightest mention of wanting to go back it was all-systems-go!  I wasn't going to miss out again...

Soon after the group was taking shape.  For the sake of a more technical weekend and to keep logistics to a minimum (I'm not big on the planning part), the group was going to be small.  We ended up sending quite a lot of e-mails between us, but it turned out to be more k@kpraat than planning.  With about a week to go before departure, we had a route or two to Swaziland and a track or two over there.  We also only had accommodation booked for 2 of the 4 nights we would be spending there.  A couple of days before departure, Drix made a plan to join us for the 1st half of the trip and Martin sorted out my soft luggage solution.  And just because there wasn't enough excitement to contend with, I had a small oil leak problem sorted out in record time the day before we were to leave for Swaziland.

So we would be a party of 6:
Deon - F800GS
Quintin - F650GS Dakar
Martin - R1200GS
Daleen - F650GS twin
Drix - F800GS
Me - 990R

We arranged to meet up at BP Olympus at 07:00.  Martin and Daleen was a bit late (she still had to pack the hair dryer and probably some more crap).  Drix was also leaving his packing for the very last moment and was running around looking for straps and stuff.  He would meet us at the Engen/Shell/whatever Ultra City One Stop something just after Witbank.  So we were on our way...

Departing from BP Olympus
DSC01042.jpg

It was a chilly morning and I was glad I opted for my winter gloves and jacket inners.  It was also the last time I would use it on this trip.  We took the old road to miss the first toll gate and were on the N4 soon enough hacking our way towards Witbank for our first cup of coffee.  At the One Stop, it was clear that they didn't expect the number of visitors - no coffee available.  So a Coke had to do instead.  Drix joined up with the rest of the group and he mentioned that he suspects some battery-related issue on his bike.  He had the battery on a charger and hoped it would last.

At the toll gate after Witbank, I really wanted to pay, but the truck in front of me was taking forever to pay and go.  I eventually decided to take a short detour through the toll gate office building garden.  Most scenic :)  At Belfast we turned off the N4 - our plan to take a scenic route that included two dirt passes.  But in town Drix's battery called it a day and we were stuck in a chilly breeze with hardly any shops open on a national holiday.  Not that we would have been able to buy that specific battery in town anyway.  A couple of minutes for logic to kick in and a plan was made.  Drix suspected that somehow his battery is not getting charged.  So we decided to go back to the N4 one stop, have breakfast and sort out the problem there.  This one was also packed to the brim.  No chance in hell to get a breakfast at the Wimpy before lunchtime.  So a pie and coke it was.  Deon and Drix decided to swap batteries.  Deon can charge Drix's battery while Drix drains Deon's.  This battery swapping exercise would happen daily from that point on.

Houston, we have a problem!  Daleen was charging her battery in the sun :)
DSC01045.jpg

Jumpstarting the red 800 to get back to the N4 one stop.
DSC01046.jpg

Drix's bike getting a battery transplant.
DSC01049.jpg

With Drix up and running again we pointed towards Badplaas and stopped there at some Golf Club pub/restaurant for lunch.  Interesting folk in that part of our country.  Quintin realised that a side bag on his luggage came loose and fell off on the way there.  Minus all his toiletries.  After a beer at the bar and a cheese burger we were sorted and ready to go.  Quintin and I popped in at the resort to buy him a new toothbrush.  He would borrow the rest from dad (Deon).

Only missing some toiletries at the lunch stop.
DSC01052.jpg

Off for a beer and cheese burger.
DSC01056.jpg

We took an awesomely pretty gravel road through the Songimvelo game reserve towards the Josefsdal/Bulembu border post.  At some point I stopped to check if all my stuff were still tied down properly and realised it was 15:50.  10 minutes before the border closes.  Pity we had to rush this part, because it was really beautiful in the late afternoon.  With a groot ge-jaag of the last part we ended up at the border post just in time.  Quiet, efficient, friendly, no-fuss - just as I like my border posts.  We stamped into Swaziland and went searching for our accommodation for the night.

Taking in some scenery on the way to the border post.
DSC01059.jpg

She likes the gravel more than the tar.  And so do I.
DSC01062.jpg

We booked at the Bulembu Country Lodge.  It's quite a fancy designation for an abandoned asbestos mining town in the process of being restored.  It seems as if the whole place was purchased by the Bulembu Ministries organisation and now provides food, shelter and education for around 300 orphans and abandoned children.  Through their logde accommodation, honey industry and lumber interests, they are aiming to be self-sufficient by 2018.  Great to see how they are making it work.  They don't sell alcohol there, but you are welcome to take your own... so we did :)

After checking in with the friendly staff (and I've seen a lot of friendliness in that country!), we were showed to our self-catering house.  They have a couple of these old big houses that have been renovated for guests.  Our house, Windsor Park 9 (nogal!) had something like 10 beds.  This old house really reminded back to the times when we spent school holidays on the farm.  They also offer very neat lodge accommodation and even have a hostel that doubles as a backpackers.  Drix, Deon and Quintin were off to ravage the local shop of all the coke and other soft drinks they had.  It must be quite unsual for someone to buy in bulk there, because the local shopkeeper was having difficulty relinquishing all her stock to us.

Windsor Park 9.
DSC01086.jpg

Our accommodation for 2 nights.
DSC01067.jpg

The stable full of horses.
DSC01065.jpg

It's like taking a trip back in time.
DSC01085.jpg

We decided to have their dinner for that night.  Mainly because we didn't run across any shops to buy meat and stuff, or even some roadkill to braai.  Dinner consisted of some nice filled chicken roll something and what can be described as potato pancakes and veggies.  Only soft drinks (or milk in Deon's case) to wash it down.  Martin was quite taken aback by his small portion of chicken compared to the rest of ours.  He would even get a discount on his meal for the laughs we had at his expense.  We retired later the night after a couple of rum/brandy & cokes, and after Drix had the flattery back on the charger.

Up next: The valley of grass and rivers